Maivc Classics SSC developing cracks around the spoke holes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RudeE

by RudeE

I have a set of Mavic SSC's that I would love to start using, but noticed that the front rim has developed cracks around the spoke holes. Is it safe to use?
I was looking for a Classics SSC rim but none are available. What would be a direct replacement? Anyone have experience? Looks like the Mavic reflex have the same erd....mine are clinchers, reflex are tubulars. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Well, you could probably keep riding it, but I don't think it's worth the risk. You may as well take care of the issue now rather than delay it and have to deal with it at an inconvenient time.

by 11.4

Sadly, a common problem with Mavics. Reflexes are better than they used to be, but still have too much work hardening at the ferrules that leads to premature cracking. It's just about how Mavic likes to engineer their rims and their extrusion dies.

Don't try to save a few bucks on spokes, especially if you're going to tubular rims and then have to invest in a different system. Get some good reliable clincher rims like Kinlin XR300's or the double-eyeleted DT's or such, and have them rebuilt. Talk to Zen or Ergott or another wheelbuilder on here if you don't have a really good one at home.

theremery

by theremery

Carbon patch over the top (use a tube strapped on as a pressure bladder....at about 10-15psi......duct tape over it so it doesn't explode).....let a 2 layer 3K patch set with plenty of resin for 4 hours. Remove excess resin and trim while it is still "green". Re-pressurise and leave for a day. Each repair probably adds 2-3g. You'll get a couple of years out of it before the Alu surface lets it go and the crack will go back to widening. looks naff unless you trim it really nicely.
http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... sort=3&o=3
Look by the valve hole on my training wheels.....ugly patch.....functional though!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Geoff

by Geoff

That's an interesting repair! To the OP, you can often get NOS Mavic SSC's on eBay, etc., but you need to be patient.

ergott

by ergott

RudeE wrote:I have a set of Mavic SSC's that I would love to start using, but noticed that the front rim has developed cracks around the spoke holes. Is it safe to use?
I was looking for a Classics SSC rim but none are available. What would be a direct replacement? Anyone have experience? Looks like the Mavic reflex have the same erd....mine are clinchers, reflex are tubulars. any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

The tubular and clincher rims shouldn't have the same ERD. The Classics you have should be an Open Pro rim so you can use another Open Pro rim to replace the bad rim.

RudeE

by RudeE

Thanks Ergott, for some reason I was lead to believe these where the same erd as the reflex.
Now to be patient and wait for a 32h. Open pro ceramic to go on sale on ebay.
I would of course have to transfer the stickers as well.
I included a photo of the cracks, theres a few of them on the front wheel.

Anyone have a ceramic open pro for sale? Thanks again!
Attachments
2012-11-13_08-45-19_23.jpg
2012-11-13_08-45-42_665.jpg

ergott

by ergott

There used to be a clincher version with the Reflex name so that's probably where the confusion is.

You might not get those decals off intact. If you don't there are posts here and elsewhere from people that recreate decals. I use Mike from Design Air who does cycling decals and frequents here (I forget his user name). You might want to check into it before you damage the decals and they can't be as easily copied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com