Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

bura wrote:As we all know Carbon brake discs are used in Formula one and already in some street cars like the Porsche GT 3 and they are very heat durable. Of course these are 3cm thick carbon discs with cooling channels in between etc.

They're also not carbon fiber composite, at least not in the sense that we're familiar with, having carbon fibers in an epoxy matrix. GT3 brakes are carbon-ceramic; F1 are "carbon fiber" but the matix is some hydrocarbon and they take months to manufacture (http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2) . They're no more comparable to bicycle rims than any other object largely made from carbon, like an industrial diamond or a pencil lead. The process to make an F1 brake disc wouldn't fly for bicycle wheel manufacture unless there's a market for $40,000 sets of wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

eric wrote:
bura wrote:As we all know Carbon brake discs are used in Formula one and already in some street cars like the Porsche GT 3 and they are very heat durable. Of course these are 3cm thick carbon discs with cooling channels in between etc.

They're also not carbon fiber composite, at least not in the sense that we're familiar with, having carbon fibers in an epoxy matrix. GT3 brakes are carbon-ceramic; F1 are "carbon fiber" but the matix is some hydrocarbon and they take months to manufacture (http://www.f1technical.net/articles/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) . They're no more comparable to bicycle rims than any other object largely made from carbon, like an industrial diamond or a pencil lead. The process to make an F1 brake disc wouldn't fly for bicycle wheel manufacture unless there's a market for $40,000 sets of wheels.

Something gets to be explained as the quote from my message has been used to explain how F1 brake discs are manufactured.

I skipped the F1 brake disc manufacturing process and in no way intended to show that this is the way to manufacture bicycle rims.
My point was the thickness (more CF material) on the carbon brake surface of Gigantex bicycle rims.
And even that this adds some weight it may be a method (design) to add endurance to bicycle rims.
And heat control.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

theremery

by theremery

http://s274.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... ort=3&o=26

Hopefully that shows......generation 1 VX-C5 failure......could've been hospital, or death!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

theremery

by theremery

More relevant than you may think.....the VX-5C was used by both X-bikes AND Xiamen Far, as far as I'm aware. The second generation ones (after the revised mold) are much better but the front one has failed also. BOTH companies were marketing them (if you looked closely at the Alibaba descriptions) as having VX-5C rims....i.e. the only difference between your and mine may be the gradient of the local hills. Extreme caution please people!
From what I hear, Mae has an excellent reputation for top level customer service (I haven't fully studied the whole thread in detail though) and I really wish I had gone with them as my supplier. if they have a further revision......I may go for that option, and just use them on the flat. They are light and ride well. X-bikes have really annoyed me....they are putting their customers at risk and I'll be doing a nice "show and tell" once I'm on holiday and have a little more time for a good photo-shoot.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

kylefoo
in the industry
Location: N96 Road jingquan, Jimei District, Xiamen city, China

by kylefoo

Wookieopolis wrote:Well, my Farsports experience has ended in a very cracked rim. Where the tire bed meets the brake track is separating and if you push on the tire you can very clearly see the foam core of the wheel. :?

hello Wookieopolis, sorry for the delayed reply because of backing home for some private stuffs these days. about your situation, you can contact the sales the one who had communication with you before, to judge what is the problem, what is the solution. in addition, our manager Mae have already complete policy of warranty.
FarSports carbon wheels
Email:sales2@farsports.cn
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

BobSantini wrote:@kylefoo:
Do you sell the ED hubs separately?
Do you have their flange dimensions?:
front - pcd, centre left/right,
rear - pcd left, pcd right, centre left, centre right.

Maybe I should ask this via pm but I think others would like to know.

Bob, good question, yeah it can be sold by pair, also by singly the front, the rear, free body.
about the flange and pcd, i will answer you tomorrow(office time).
FarSports carbon wheels
Store:http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1679325, all store enjoys 8% off till 30th Sep.

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

upside wrote:My experience with farsports isn't going well at all. Their shipping policy reads.. They ship in 1-3 days and delivery is 3-5 days. .

upside, may be our sales didnot express clearly, 1-3days of lead time(when the rims, hubs, spoke in stock), 15-20days for special version or special holes, for not in stock. it is right for 3-5days of delivery time, because mostly express we take is by RPX express, straight fly, no tranship.
FarSports carbon wheels

upside

by upside

Thanks Kylefoo.. should get then this week. :thumbup: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

hetchins68

by hetchins68

when is the shimano 11spd hub will be ready ?..

kylefoo wrote:
upside wrote:My experience with farsports isn't going well at all. Their shipping policy reads.. They ship in 1-3 days and delivery is 3-5 days. .

upside, may be our sales didnot express clearly, 1-3days of lead time(when the rims, hubs, spoke in stock), 15-20days for special version or special holes, for not in stock. it is right for 3-5days of delivery time, because mostly express we take is by RPX express, straight fly, no tranship.

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

hetchins68 wrote:when is the shimano 11spd hub will be ready ?..

Hetchins68, so far have many guys like you be interest in our ED shimano 11sp, and i do pass this feedback to our purchase department.
will update once have the further news.
FarSports carbon wheels

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

BobSantini wrote:@kylefoo:
Do you sell the ED hubs separately?
Do you have their flange dimensions?:
front - pcd, centre left/right,
rear - pcd left, pcd right, centre left, centre right.

front:
left flange diameter:29.6mm
right flange diameter:29.6mm
WL, width from center to left: 33.7mm
WR, width from center to left: 33.7mm

rear:
left flange diameter:38.5mm
right flange diameter:49.5mm
WL, width from center to left: 36.5mm
WR, width from center to left: 18.5mm
FarSports carbon wheels

teamtrinity

by teamtrinity

Are the VX-5D's any better than the VX-5C's?

theremery

by theremery

D's are the tubular ones. Generally, tubulars are less prone to heat issues, but I have seen delaminations on tubulars too. I'd be cautious of VX series rims on any serious descents, tubulars too (clinchers are a definite NO!!).
Follow up on my gripes with X-bike.......they are claiming they are out of warranty because a second set was sent. Unbelieveably poor :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kylefoo
in the industry

by kylefoo

our Sun Wheels series have been launched, with DT240S hubs, Sapim CX ray spokes, High teperature durable rims.
the price and weight are both higher and heavier than M series, and can be placed by complete wheelset as well as the
single hub, should any interested in feel free to contact me.
FarSports carbon wheels