The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
skiandbikecmh

by skiandbikecmh

Velocity Escape looks like just the ticket. Thanks
My Bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

Hi Guys,

I have a set of Velocity A23's built using DT Revolutions with a 2x 24 hole front and 2x 28 hole rear :thumbup:

Now my question is to get more compliance out of my wheels could I go to a 32/32 3x setup using he same DT Revolution spokes?? or would this just make them stiffer :noidea:

eric

by eric

For a more compliant ride, run lower pressure in your tires. If you use larger section tires or wider rims you can use a lower pressure without pinch flatting.

The ride difference with tires and pressure is much greater than the ride difference between wheels.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

32 spoke 3x will be about as laterally stiff as 28H 2x well maybe the 32 spoke might be a little stiffer but there is not to much in it. longer spokes of 3x are laterally less stiff than the shorter spokes in a 2x wheel. Radial stifness will be the same as spokes do not change the radial stiffness of the wheel as the SS spokes are so much stiffer than the alloy rim. What a 32 spoke wheel will do is damp vibration a bit more as there is more metal to flex and absorb energy.

Therefore Eric is right run lower pressures or use a wider tyre.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

mean, I already run 25c tire on the A23 rim so it's footprint is more like a 28c and run a low 85psi front & 90psi rear - just seeing if in theory the additional (32/32 3x) spoke count will give me a further dampening effect?!?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It should help abit.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

cool I've ordered some hubs and will build up wheels & see... Cheers

Farro4049

by Farro4049

Just getting started on my first build and I am quite excited. My 50mm tubular carbon rims arrived today from eHong Fu and DT Swiss 240s hubs are on their way from Starbike. I'll carefully measure up tonight and cross check. I am planning Sapim CX Ray spokes radial on the front (20h) and 2x on both NDS and DS on the rear (24h). Brass 14mm nipples.

I think I've read all 230 pages of this thread and have gathered some great information that helped me decide on components and build options. The reason for this post is to thank all the contributors ahead of time - just in case I am flummoxed by something along the way and need your urgent help.

I was thinking I would do silver spokes but with black ones either side of the valve - just as a feature.

markwb79

by markwb79

Sorry to duplicate, I have emailed a couple of you already.

I am looking for a good wheel builder in the Netherlands/Belgium area. I want to get a set of Ambrosio Nemesis wheels built up.

Any links or advice would be fantastic, think its too much for my first wheel build!

Thanks
Mark

Yossarian

by Yossarian

I'm looking at building (or having built) some new wheels.

H Plus Son Archetype on Chris King R45 / CX-Rays or DT Revolutions

I'm around 90kg, and they're going to be my new everyday wheels for this bike - http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84215

The ones on there at the moment are Alchemy hubs / Kinlin XR300 / CX-Rays 2 cross at the front and not sure at the back.

Wondering whether to go for similar spoking... Any suggestions?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

24F/28R might be fine with the archetype, it is quite a stiff rim. A 28F/32R will be more than fine.

Steno

by Steno

Hi All,

Couple of questions around wheels and DA9000

Looking to build up a new set of wheels for Shimano 11speed and to go with a Firefly bike. I am looking for reasonably lightweight wheels to replace 10speed Shimano C24s. One condition is I will be going with Chris King hubs once they have worked out the whole 11speed thing as they will match the bottom bracket and headset. The question is what rim?

Looking for something light that will hold 180lbs. I am also looking hopefully looking for something a bit “traditional” like Ambrosio Nemesis, but want clincher. Any thoughts on spokes and rims to fit this criteria?

I am also looking for a set of stock training wheels. From what I can tell any of the Mavic range will work and a few cheap options there. Also read a little that Campag wheels may work? Fulcrum for campag? Any suggestions for a set of “good looking” training wheels sub the $500USD, $300pound mark?

Cheers

Steno

Mackers

by Mackers

The HplusSon TB14 is pretty much a copy of the Nemesis, from the anodizing all the way down down to the brass counterweight, and despite the TB designator, it is a clincher rim.

Of course only silver DT Swiss Competition spokes go with the Nemesis rims, as far as I'm concerned, laced 3x, 32 spokes front and back.

Steno

by Steno

:beerchug: Mackers

Another thought for me! Just get the 9000 c24 for the mountain days, offload my 7900's and build up some old school Chris King 32spokers for day to day.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Mackers wrote:Of course only silver DT Swiss Competition spokes go with the Nemesis rims, as far as I'm concerned, laced 3x, 32 spokes front and back.

:thumbup: on silver spokes. I have 32 WS 14/17 spokes, front and rear. 3x front and 3xDS, 2xNDS.

And as for hub color, put me down for silver for those too. 2006 Chorus on my Nemesis, and White Industries on my other wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com