2013 Fuji Altamira 2.3 - what's your take?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ThePullMan

by ThePullMan

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting this bike as I feel that it's a pretty good deal at US$2629 with Ultegra and Rotor 3D cranks. However, I'd like to get more reviews and opinions before getting it. Has anyone ridden the Altamira frame before? Is it stiff? Compliant? And if possible, can you compare it to another bike (preferably a Madone as I will be coming from one). Here is the link to it: http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/a ... k_desc_tab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers! :)
It isn't going to be easy, but it's going to be worth it.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

I've got an Altamira 1.x team frame that I'm building up in the next weeks. I don't know what your time table is, but I will be glad to give impressions vs caad9 as soon as I'm able. I held the frame for the first time today. It is a looker in the grey on nude color scheme and barely there weight. 930 frame, 330 fork, but those are with seat post clamp, bottle cage bolts, hanger, crown race, and uncut. There is not a lot of Fuji representation on this board, and I am looking forward to filling that void.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I don't ride a Fuji, But I train with a team who do. All except one ride the Altamira. While they can only choose Fuji options, the fact that they choose the Altamira says to me that's the best race bike that Fuji offer
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

verycreativeusername wrote:the fact that they choose the Altamira says to me that's the best race bike that Fuji offer

Could it be they just went with what was lightest?

Unless they've ridden all of Fuji's bikes on offer, that's a big absolute judgement call.

If racing and light weight is a priority then then the Altamira is the way to go. If you're more a breakaway type rider then I'd say the SST is certainly worth a look. Great bike and more suited to that type of rider.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

I bought an Altamira 3.0 at Performance in August 2011. Stiff bike, but also stiff riding (not very compliant particularly in the front end). Chainstay snapped in half after 15 days. Returned to Performance, and after waiting 6 weeks, had my warranty replacement Altamira. Performance said I could upgrade to the 2012 all-black Limited Edition Team Model frame and fork for $500. I paid the extra $500. The frame and fork were pounds lighter than the original frame. The 2 frames also felt completely different. The new frame wasn't as stiff as older, cheaper frame, but it was more compliant. Way more compliant. Every time I rode the new bike I would think I had a rear flat tire at some point during the ride. The rear end is just totally numb feeling to the point where I can't feel what's going on beneath the rear wheel. Can't tell whether I'm sliding in a corner or gripping the pavement. This wasn't the biggest problem with the new frame, however. The new frame always felt like the rear of the bike was going in a separate direction from the rest of the bike. I checked the rear wheel in the dropouts, and noticed the wheel sat closer to one chainstay than the other. I take the bike back to Performance (who by this time have gone from being my BFF's to something closer to an enemy). After a week and a half my bike is finally ready. Mechanic tells me frame is alligned, but the wheel was out of dish, and that he re-dished the wheel which solved the problem. I don't get to ride the bike for a week, but when I finally ride it, the rear end still goes in it's own separate direction from the rest of the bike. I check the rear wheel dish...It's way off. I bring the frame to another shop to have the alignment checked...Alignment is way off. I finally got a full cash refund for the Altamira. I bought a cheap-ass aluminum Felt F85 as a temporary replacement for the Altamira. Even the aluminum Felt rides and handles better than the Fuji Altamira. Stiff when out of the saddle, and compliant enough for me. If you're happy with the Cannondale geometry, I'd just get a CAAD10...Probably the same price or cheaper with similar components. The CAAD10 will probably be lighter, too (the model you're looking at probably has a frame that weighs at least 1250g and a fork in the 450g range). If you're looking for a longer top tube than Cannondale, take a look at the Felt F Series...Aluminum F75 or any of the carbon fiber models.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

CAAD10 3 Ultegra $2330 MSRP
Felt F4 Ultegra $2799 MSRP

Also, that Rotor crank on the Altamira is the 3D-F. It's a cheap forged version of the Rotor 3D. Not the same crank as the 3D that Garmin rides.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Tinea Pedis wrote:Unless they've ridden all of Fuji's bikes on offer, that's a big absolute judgement call.

I know of 2 who switched from the SST, they complained about it being too stiff. One of the riders still rides the SST, but he usually rides other bikes when he is not racing (also says its very stiff). I'm not sure about the other riders on the team though

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

ThePullMan

by ThePullMan

roadytracky wrote:CAAD10 3 Ultegra $2330 MSRP
Felt F4 Ultegra $2799 MSRP

Also, that Rotor crank on the Altamira is the 3D-F. It's a cheap forged version of the Rotor 3D. Not the same crank as the 3D that Garmin rides.

That's weird... You might want to check this thread out about the Rotor 3DF. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102135

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Wow, roadytracky, that's a pretty unfortunate experience. I think it's crazy that a frame that won the vuelta can disappoint like that. But as I said, there is not a lot of information out there on the fujis. Everything that I did read was regarding the top level equipment, and was quite positive. Maybe they had some early qc issues?

My team will be split on SSTs and Altamiras for road season, and is already racing some Altamira cx discs for cyclocross. Nothing but heaps of praise so far, although we've only just gotten a couple out on the roads.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

The 1st Altamira was the low end version with Fuji's C4 Carbon and a fork called FC440 - a 2011 model. The 2nd frame was the top of the line version made of different carbon called D6 with an FC330 fork - 2012 model. Swapping one frameset for the other dropped the overall weight over 2 1/2 pounds BTW. These were road bikes, not cyclocross bikes. I'm just giving my own personal experience, not something I "read' somewhere. Also, if you recall that 2011 Vuelta that Cobo won on an Altamira, none of the Altamiras matched, and some riders would be on different Altamiras from day to day (not counting Cobo's Altamira finished in leader's jersey red). Not sure what was going on there, but I've never seen a more mismatched set of team bikes. Stick with the SST if you have a choice.

ThePullMan

by ThePullMan

Wow.... 2 1/2 pounds of weight savings in just the frameset (I'm guessing just frame and fork?) alone is really pretty quite ridiculous... That's more than a kg!! :noidea:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

verycreativeusername wrote:I know of 2 who switched from the SST, they complained about it being too stiff. One of the riders still rides the SST

Not sure still that equates the Altamira to being the top of the tree? They're two bikes with different designed purposes.

Either way, I got to review a Fuji Gran Fondo and found it surprisingly excellent to ride. Also the mag I wrote for also thought highly of the Altamira and especially of the SST they've reveiwed in the past couple of years.

roadytracky

by roadytracky

ThePullMan wrote:Wow.... 2 1/2 pounds of weight savings in just the frameset (I'm guessing just frame and fork?) alone is really pretty quite ridiculous... That's more than a kg!! :noidea:

After I wrote that I thought that sounded like more than possible. Since I no longer have either bike, I went back to look at the specs from the 2011 Alatmira 3.0. The fork listed in the specs is an FC770 (aluminum steerer listed) not an FC440 (carbon steerer listed on 2013 specs). I remember the fork having an aluminum steerer so it must've been the FC770. Does anyone know what the numbers mean in Fuji's fork naming scheme? The Team LTD model had an FC330. If those numbers refer to grams then the 2 1/2lbs. weight loss makes sense. The Team LTD frame was approx. 840g as I remember and the fork was somewhere in the 340's uncut. The heavier C4 2011 Altamira frame was never weighed separately, but 1300g wouldn't have been a surprise...it was HEAVY and STIFF. So a 770g fork switched for a 340g fork gets pretty close to 2 1/2 lbs. Later on when I switched the 105 crank for the Rotor 3D-f the bike lost another 3/10lb, but that 105 crank was WAY stiffer...Maybe the stiffest crank I've ever ridden (although I'm impressed with the stiffness of the 2012 Red Crank I'm currently riding). Anyway BIG difference between the weight and the ride quality of the top of the line Altamira and the rest of the Altamiras. Felt like a completely different brand/model actually.

I still think there are better & more inexpensive alternatives to Fuji. I'm very leary of Fuji after my experience, although a Performance employee I ride with got a 2012 SST Team LTD and loves it. The problems might just be with the Altamiras (and SL-1's - I ride with 3 different riders who each had to have their top of the line SL-1's replaced under warranty).

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I think the fork model number refers to its claimed weight

Tinea Pedis wrote:Not sure still that equates the Altamira to being the top of the tree? They're two bikes with different designed purposes.

True, perhaps I should rephrase my statement to best all-round machine?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welcomdmat

by welcomdmat

I have had the chance to spend a couple of weeks on each frame in the higher end carbon version, and I raced cross last year on the Altamira CX 1.0.

The Fuji bikes are quite solid, and their geometry is quite predictable. For the average, lighter road racer, the Altamira is a great bike. The SST is a rocket that they developed from the Aloha TT frame. It is very stiff and can be punishing to lighter riders or those who don't want a fair bit of road feedback.

I have not heard feedback about the Altamira not being stiff enough or anything like that, but horses for courses -- Fuji made the SST for a reason.