Moots’ Point: For Premium Bike Maker, It’s Titanium or Bust

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Miller76

by Miller76

For all the MOOTS lovers - hopefully my next road bike will be from the MOOTS stable, at least that is the plan....

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/11/moots

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I like the look of a Moots.

My only question is why a high-precision manufacturer would be using a Pressfit BB?

Which was invented for firms that would or could not manufacture to BB30 standards.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

socratease

by socratease

bikerjulio wrote:My only question is why a high-precision manufacturer would be using a Pressfit BB?

Which was invented for firms that would or could not manufacture to BB30 standards.

PF30 tends to have better bearing life. All aspects of machining ti are extremely expensive. I'm also curious how well titanium tolerates a pure steel on ti interface.

ticou

by ticou

Spoke to a premier LBS with all the big name frames and they said that Moots takes the time and trouble to make the best Ti tubes.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

bikerjulio wrote:Which was invented for firms that would or could not manufacture to BB30 standards.

Not close to being the truth.

No idea about the bearing life, but speak to an engineer about machining tolerances for BB30 as opposed to PF30 and you'll understand it's not in any way a reflection on the abilities of the welders. Especially someone like Moots.

tobyinsydney
in the industry

by tobyinsydney

Even Cannondale has abandoned BB30 and they invented it! Despite the EVO having a BB30 sticker its actually PF30. Thankfully, as it will surely creak less...

BB30 was a real pain in the arse.

elviento

by elviento

PF30 is likely the most accommodating BB standard on the market today. There are very few cranks that can't fit on a PF30, including some cranks that are preceived as being superior.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

styrrell

by styrrell

ticou wrote:Spoke to a premier LBS with all the big name frames and they said that Moots takes the time and trouble to make the best Ti tubes.

I've always admired moots but thats a bit silly to say. There are maybe 3-5 manf of Ti tubes used in bicycles and they sell to everyone. Moots buys tubes , then cuts/welds/finishes etc to make a frame. but they don't mfg their own tubes.

ticou

by ticou

They do something with 'em that others don't, but i've forgotten what the guy said.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It's certainly not making them.

ticou

by ticou

Shame they couldn't have done more about the aesthetic design.I Like Baum's too. If the job holds up, I might take a look at Ti in a year or so. The gym will have to hold up too as well..

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I'm not working for them any more, so just a regular owner.

Moots are damn nice bikes too though. I like their choice of tubing & of course excellent welds.

ticou

by ticou

I picket up their product catalogue whilst in the shop and it's nicely done. The red school house marks the start of the local 2 mile climb..it's green pastures all the way down there in Steamboat springs. They use premium, U.S made Moots Pi Tech ti in all their frames. And they use the latest in modern tech.

It goes on in a like vein for the rest, but I'm sure it's a fine product, the guy in the shop had no agenda.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com