Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LSiena0206

by LSiena0206

I agree with the above posts. The few negative posts probably don't take into account that there are many more people with positive experiences with their wheels. There are other forums out there that also post experiences both positive and negative. But it seems like Far Sports is just as considerate to their customers as any other wheel manufacture.

I have the 50mm clinchers and am very happy with them. The delivery time to the states was just over a week. I use the blue brake pads supplied with the wheels and don't experience any pulsation or excessive brake noise. They ride just as smooth as any ZIPP / HED / Mavic that I've owned. For the price, comfort, and ease of use I see myself buying more from them in the future - In addition, I recommend them to my cycling mates.

But, going to the previous pictures - In the first photo there looks to be a rut in the rim on the right, just above the thumb. As if a rock or debris had lodged into the pad and had been there for some time.
I know that alot of riders have mentioned that their pads - no matter which brand - wear quickly. That kind of rim damage looks like part of the brake had rubbed against the rim. It would be nice to see the pads/brakes and the position of the pad/brake against the rim with the damage. Unfortunately, all we usually see is the damaged rim, and nothing else.

I know it sounds like I'm suggesting that it's a rider issue and not a rim defect. AND I don't mean to offend anyone ! But, seeing more than just the damaged rim is helpful to understanding the reason for the failures.
If I had an LBS and if someone came in with a damaged rim, I would like to see the whole bike......

Based on my experiences with the wheels, I still trust them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I don't think the rear rim failure was braking related. The horizontal crack is above where the brake pads sit and there is a vertical crack in the center of it about 1cm long. I imagine I hit something, pothole maybe, but it wasn't big enough of a hit for it to really register with me as being catastrophic. I'd ridden these over some pretty crappy roads previously without problem. The crack is along where the tire bed meets the side of the rim.

The front brake track was always sort of wavy looking, even when brand new. The appearance hasn't really changed much, there are just flecks of carbon missing. The brake track could have over heated, but I think what you are seeing is just the waviness of the brake track that was there from new.

Not long after I bought these farsports switched to the woven brake track. For the record these were 306 and 308 grams for 50mm tubulars. I think the newer rims have gained a bit of weight and are probably a bit more robust.

If I get the chance I'll get it put back together and snap a few pictures.

I'm not trying to say that farsports's stuff is crap, I know a lot of people are having good experience with them, but I think most people have the newer generation rims. But, I figured I'd show what happened to mine.

The big question is, what to replace them with? :D

bura

by bura

bura wrote:Wookieopolis@
Previous post you did tell that these are the "older" 50mm tubular -foam core-UD wheels.
To understand the issue a little better.
Questions:
-was this a older built and you have not using them as you rode only 450miles with them ?
-a new purchase of older rims? where did you purchase them?
-have you contacted farsports about the failure?
Thanks.

I try it once more. Thanks.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Interested in answers to Bura's questions as well, Wookieopolis. Thanks.

So far I'm quite happy with my Farsports tubulars. They're light and very stiff compared to my old wheel build (kinlin XR200, sapim cx ray). Braking is quite good too.

upside

by upside

It looks like mine have shipped.. getting a bit excited. No 11 speed yet so I ordered a 24 Dura Ace 9000 rear hub and I going to rebuild the rear. They advertise the clinchers at 1230 grams +-30 grams. Just keep spending money.. this is a CRAZY hobby but enjoy it.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

-Built as race wheels. Got hurt and didn't race this year. Figured I'd throw them on a couple of weeks back and get some use out of them.
-Rims were purchased last year, new, but locally, not directly through Farsports. Farsports is where they came from originally.
-I have not contacted Farsports regarding the failure.

They are the FSP50-T rims: http://farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=575

trustbran

by trustbran

I have seen Wookieopolis' s Farsports Tubs destroyed brake tracks up close and it is not pretty :( . I know for sure he doesn't abuse his gear let alone he's a real lite weight like me. I hope for sure the newer gen models have better quality!

Wookieopolis wrote:-Built as race wheels. Got hurt and didn't race this year. Figured I'd throw them on a couple of weeks back and get some use out of them.
-Rims were purchased last year, new, but locally, not directly through Farsports. Farsports is where they came from originally.
-I have not contacted Farsports regarding the failure.

They are the FSP50-T rims: http://farsports.cn/ViewProduct.aspx?id=575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

This is an Easton wheel. It overheated too. I've seen most brands overheat, using with their own pads. None from Zipp yet, even when clearly abused.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1352598158258.jpg

bura

by bura

As we all know Carbon brake discs are used in Formula one and already in some street cars like the Porsche GT 3 and they are very heat durable. Of course these are 3cm thick carbon discs with cooling channels in between etc.
So Gigantex might have had a good idea of "thickening" the brake track of their previous carbon rims .Do not know if they still do.
A mate is using their Tokens since three years with Swisssstop yellow pads and he still did not wear the thick brake tracks down.
These may have less issues with overheating,too.
Last edited by bura on Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

theremery

by theremery

I'm on my second set of the 50mm lite ones....and the front is melted on the first descent. This was a better result than the first set which would have hospitalised anyone but an elite level rider (in terms of bike handling skills). The second generation VX5C or something similar is a nice looking rim that is stiff and goes really well in flat races but under no circumstances should you use it on a hill EVER. The first generation ones should have all been recalled in my opinion and will hospitalise somebody sooner or later. My rims make BURAs look brand new and the damage occurred in under 10 seconds. We have steep hills here in NewZealand but I'm far far from a "brake rider/dragger" and I can uncategorically tell you that front wheel-standing in a decreasing radius 15% tight corner as the front wheel does a single "BOOM" grab and the back one has 2 positions ....locked or no braking......I'm cutting inside a car at tire grip-losing speed and there is a stoip/give way at the bottom with cars going through. VERY VERY Scary. That was the generation 1 vx5cs....the 2's are better.......I'll still ride them on the flat, but the on-seller (x-bikes) doesn't wanna know........pretty sad all round.
For the Kiwis that know the climb...it was the bottom of Dyer pass road....heading into the corkscrew at the bottom.....the rims failed in the braking zone as you head towards the hand-rails at the end of the final (lowest) straight.....the bottom of the climb of the nationals course but going the other way.......Horrifying. Isolated instances????....ummmmmm.....I love my light gear and I'm always a believer in looking for alternatives and different parts but these are dangerous. DONT HILL RIDE THEM EVER! (please).
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

roadytracky

by roadytracky

What brand is a "VX5C"?

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

"X-Bike Equipment Company Limited" is another distributor of these same foam core rims. You can find them on Ali-express or Alibaba. Interesting to hear that Theremery had a similar experience with two sets of these rims.

parajba

by parajba

Apologies if i missed it but...What has the "VX5C" to do with FarSports wheels?

syncmaster

by syncmaster

I was thinking the same thing.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

FarSports USED to (as in, no longer) produce foam-core wheels similar to X-Sports. X-Sports rims were notorious for failing.
Older FarSports rims (w/ Foam Core) failed as well.

It's been while, however, and FarSports has since updated their rim mfg methods.

So, in a sense, bringing up X-Sports is somewhat relevant in a relative way, but not directly pointing at the current offerings from FarSports.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com