SKS Racebade mudguards

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tinchy

by tinchy

Just a quick question - I recently installed some of the sks raceblade mudguards on the roadie. Talking to a mate on a ride the other day he told me that unless you wrap the rear stay/fork under which the guard us mounted with electrical tape, overtime they will cause the underlying paint to chip? I can see how if the mudguard is loosely fitted then the cumulative effects of continuous vibration may cause this but I've made sure they are as firmly attached as possible and have also used the provided protective patch. So... What are people's experiences? Is electrical tape necessary? Even though its the winter bike, being a poor student I don't want a shabby paint job on it come spring !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Yes you will get wear points where the rubber feet of the sks mount rests onto the frame.

However - tape will in itself make a mark on the frame & may lift off paint finish if your unlucky.

No good suggestions from me unfortunately.... :(

tinchy

by tinchy

Wear points... To what extent haha

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Hey, kinda off topic, but you wouldn't happen to be riding Vittoria Open Pave's with the 23mm raceblades? I just ordered some and was hoping I could squeeze the Pave's under there....

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Cheap electrical tape may lift the paint but good electrical tape should not.
Paint may come off the older steel frames but not with today's paints.

Those sks race blades will not keep you from getting your feet wet from the front tire water spray.

The blade or fender need to cover tire tire almost entirely like this

Honjo fenders worth it other wise keep the money for something else.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Check out the new Raceblade Long. Very good coverage, no mounting on paint.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Please read this before buying the long race blades

http://blayleys.blogspot.com/2012/02/fe ... -long.html

Also the are still too short up front.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

OP needs to specify what bike, but maybe his bike doesn't have brake mounting points? or eyelets? becuase is sks one of the only options for bikes sans those things?

tinchy

by tinchy

^Its a CAAD10

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

tinchy wrote:^Its a CAAD10

oh then carry on with what others are telling u

im looking at the sks raceblades for my crux (converted to commuter in the winter) and i dont have eyelets or brake mounts to use.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

You can make/buy your own eyelets if need be.

bontie

by bontie

@btompkins :
I ride with 25mm Gatorskins and get no rub while seated. Out the saddle efforts on winter wheels do rub, but very little. I am going to cut/melt off the excess plastic where the metal attached to the body of the mudguard to get a bit more clearance, as that is all that rubs. You should be okay with the Pave’s
To the OP – they do scratch the paint so you could put tape underneath, no harm to be done.

They’ll definitely won’t keep your feet out of all spray, but make a world of difference in the wet. Of the available Crud and SKS options for a normal roadie, these are the best imo.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

@bontie

Cheers! Just what I'd hoped!

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Thanks for that insight. I was aware of a couple of the issues, some of the new ones are deal breakers for me.
I'll stick to my original RaceBlades with custom extensions...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

This is the fender set you want. http://www.crudproducts.com/products/roadracer/

Any fender that uses a "foot" to mount on the fork and stays will eventually leave a wear mark. A couple turns of tape helps, but not much.