Competition/racing wheelset (tubular)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frederique

by frederique

Hey,

I'm riding the Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels atm as a training-setup.
I'm looking for an affordable sub 1400g wheelset with a mid-high profile (30 to 50mm)
At the moment i'm looking at the ffwd F4R tub atm, 1250g at +-1200euro (top of my budget).
Wondering if you guys could suggest any other interesting choice that suits my criteria :).

Greetz.

----
Btw, soon i'm going to post my "introduction" in the gallery, need some nice pictures first ;).
Pure energy, Perfect power !

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche do some very resonably priced and lightweight tubular wheels. Also for hand builts there are the expsnsive ENVE rims or the cheaper Gigantex rims. If these are built with lightweight hubs then they would ome in 1400g or less.

It all possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Check out wheelsmith.co.uk for a wide range of custom builds, including Gigantex/Novatec.

sawyer

by sawyer

frederique - I've owned both the clincher (sold) and tub (still have) version of the F4R. I'd urge you to shop around as you can get a much better price that E1200 on them IIRC.

Are you looking at the DT hub version? Mine is FFWD hub version which are still very nice hubs ... good even compared to Campag, Shimano and Zipp ... not better than those, but pretty close.

Rim is stiff and strong and slightly wider than say the Bora type narrow rim. Finish is superb.

Weight with FFWD is 1260g. Stiffness is good if not spectacular, but similar to Boras.

Braking is good - same as Zipps and Boras IMO.

Mine were like E700 bought secondhand but unused if that makes sense.

They won't be as aero as say the Zipp 303s, but then they are about 60% of the price.

Recommended.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Martin1977

by Martin1977

What about Bora One or Corima Aero? Both around 1250 euro and both great wheelsets.

mrfish

by mrfish

I would go for either second hand Mavic CCUs for about that money. If you get ones which are straight there is very little not to like, apart from the fact that the freehub design could be lighter (swap in a Ti freehub). If you ride on steep slopes then the stiffness and low inertia is noticeable. Just not a good idea if you tend to do races where people put their pedals into your spokes. That said, my experience is that if you crash badly enough to take out spokes, then most of the time the rim is also toast. On the flat they roll nicely, but something like a Bora I think would be as good and looks nicer on an Italian bike.

If you want deep rims with light weight you could easily go well below 1kg by spending a lot of money on say AX lightness rims and top end Tune hubs, but in my view those bring problems of their own, like spoke pull through, impact resistance and maintenance of hubs with carbon axles. Therefore perhaps go for some 'starter drugs' with something like the Circusmonkey hubs and Gigantex rims, or for a bit more money go for Tune 180 hubs. They're not reall lighter, but are a higher quality product.

sawyer

by sawyer

mrfish wrote:I would go for either second hand Mavic CCUs for about that money. If you get ones which are straight there is very little not to like, apart from the fact that the freehub design could be lighter (swap in a Ti freehub). If you ride on steep slopes then the stiffness and low inertia is noticeable. Just not a good idea if you tend to do races where people put their pedals into your spokes. That said, my experience is that if you crash badly enough to take out spokes, then most of the time the rim is also toast. On the flat they roll nicely, but something like a Bora I think would be as good and looks nicer on an Italian bike.

If you want deep rims with light weight you could easily go well below 1kg by spending a lot of money on say AX lightness rims and top end Tune hubs, but in my view those bring problems of their own, like spoke pull through, impact resistance and maintenance of hubs with carbon axles. Therefore perhaps go for some 'starter drugs' with something like the Circusmonkey hubs and Gigantex rims, or for a bit more money go for Tune 180 hubs. They're not reall lighter, but are a higher quality product.

Second hand CCUs is a risky non-budget call in my view. Never mind catastrophic crash, get hit from the side while cornering and good luck trueing them.

Very nice, but not a budget wheel.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Look around for a set of 2012 wheels on clearance. I got my 1300g, 46mm Reynolds tubulars for $700 a few years back. Still going strong!
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

eurperg

by eurperg

Are those Assaults? Mine (2010) are 1315g without stickers, and the newer ones should be sub-1300g.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Yeah, 2010 Assaults. Those were a hell of a deal when they were blowing them out at the end of the year.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

sawyer

by sawyer

On the same theme ... Easton are often cheap on poo-bay through US vendors

frederique

by frederique

@Sawyer :
Thanks for the comment. I'm looking at the ffwd hubs, not the dt's.
I'll check around for better price. I'm getting some nice comments about those wheels.

@Martin1977 :
Bora one might be an option aswell (1350g, just under my "limit).
Dont know about Corima tho. The aero + are good, but costing more then i'm willing to spend i think.

@mrfish :
Mavic ccu second hand would be ok if i can find them in a nearly spotless state.
Not a big fan of 2nd used wheels actually, just never know for certain what they've been trough.

@jmilliron :
Those wheels are actually spot on, what i'm looking for.
Going to keep my eyes out for some interesting price-drops.
-----------

Thank you all for commenting.
I'm going to take up your advice & look around untill i find the right set for me.
Will keep you posted on what i've ended up with :) !
Pure energy, Perfect power !

tigradekat

by tigradekat

Hi Frederique, I just sent you a PM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Also PM'd.