My 8kg+ light bike

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stein

by stein

Hi guys
My name is Stein and I live in Norway. I've been enjoying reading this forum for some time and I finally got around to join. I ride my bikes mostly for the pleasure it brings me and because it's a great way to stay fit. During the summer I also do a few amateur races, basically competing with no-one but myself. Which is sometimes hard enough.....
I've ridden a couple of bikes, and I'm a great fan of Cannondales. Because I've had some back issues with bikes beeing to stiff, I just bought a 2013 Synapse which is also going to be my little WW project. I will try to put info about that as I go along. For the moment I have a RED groupset on Its way in the mail, so that will be a nice start.
What really changed my mind about bike comfort was a beautiful American frame I found on the web. Once i saw it I knew I had to get one. And that's where the title of this post comes from. With a frame weight of 2,25 kg I think the approx 8 kg finished build with pedals and bottle cages is pretty good.
Here are some pictures. Hope you like them.
Renovo frame in birch, bubinga and wenge hardwood. Piano mirror finish clear coating, and custom anodized dropouts
Renovo frame in birch, bubinga and wenge hardwood. Piano mirror finish clear coating, and custom anodized dropouts

KCNC cockpit with Alligator I-link cables
KCNC cockpit with Alligator I-link cables

The business end. Jockey wheels have been replaced with black ones, as I think the gold ones were a little too much. Also thinking about painting the derailleur cage all black.
The business end. Jockey wheels have been replaced with black ones, as I think the gold ones were a little too much. Also thinking about painting the derailleur cage all black.

My pride and joy. Did change the seat clamp to a black one. Build list below.
My pride and joy. Did change the seat clamp to a black one. Build list below.

Build list:
Frame: Renovo R3 size 51
Fork: Don't remember the brand. Inexpensive, quite heavy, but good looking
Wheels: Fulcrum racing zero with Schwalbe ultremo tires and SRAM PG 70 11-25 cassette. KCNC skewers
Group: SRAM red black
Crankset: Kcnc K2 compact
Cockpit and seatpost: KCNC Sc lite
Headset: Chris king
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Cables: Alligator I-links
Pedals: Shimano ultegra carbon
Bottle cages: Tranz x
Weight: 8,2 kg
Why does Shimano paint their groupsets the way they do? If i wanted fifty shades of grey - I'd buy the book.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

A real beauty.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Wow - that is a work of art. Beautiful.

AllAboutTheEngine

by AllAboutTheEngine

Beautiful bike

CBJ

by CBJ

Looks great I like it much better than the other build on here.

artray

by artray

Very nice ,to nice to ride. Should be in the Tate . :thumbup:

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Awesome! Great to see another Renovo owner of the forum :welcome:

By the way, Whisky Parts Co. No 7 forks look great with a Renovo frame.

stein

by stein

Thanks for the compliments guys. :P
SWijland - I have been enjoing your tread for some time. The all black whiskey fork looks great. I might sand down the graphics on mine and give it a clear coat. Like youself I have also changed a few parts as my build was moving forward. Allthough I wanted the black and gold looks, I found that I had to go easy on the gold parts and only use it for small things like different nuts and bolts. In the pictures on top of the thread, I've got gold anodized seat post clamp, jockey wheels, and chain catcher. Those have all been replaced with black parts, and I think it really gave the build a more coherent and relaxed look.
The major change is the wheels. The Fulcrums are great, but the logos were not in place on this bike. I could of course have removed them, but the wheels found a better home on my black and white Cannondale Synapse.
And the Renovo is now sporting Mavic cosmic carbone slr. From the start i didn't want any "high tech" parts on the bike. I wanted to compliment the wood frame with good ol' fashion metal parts, but after removing the ugly yellow decals on the cosmics, I think the aero shape all black wheels really compliment the bulky top and down tube on the bike. It's raining cats and dogs right now, but I'll be posting some more pics once I can shoot the bike outdoors.
Now to all the WW's. After all that's why we're here.
Weight of wheelset:
Weight rear wheel
Weight rear wheel

Weight front wheel
Weight front wheel

Shimano Dura Ace 11-25 cassette
Shimano Dura Ace 11-25 cassette

Front wheel complete with tube and Continental GP 4000s 25 mm tire
Front wheel complete with tube and Continental GP 4000s 25 mm tire

Complete weight rear wheel, incl tube Continental GP 4000s 25 tire and Dura Ace cassette
Complete weight rear wheel, incl tube Continental GP 4000s 25 tire and Dura Ace cassette

Weight of wheelset after I removed some small stickers: 1705 grams.
Claimed weight on Mavics website: 1595 grams :evil: :evil:
Nothing new I guess...
Why does Shimano paint their groupsets the way they do? If i wanted fifty shades of grey - I'd buy the book.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

To be honest, the first thing I was thinking when I laid my eyes on your bike was that the wheels seemed a bit out of place. Funny thing you decided to change them :wink: . The new wheels look very nice and I am sure they roll superb, even though a bit overweight. Another nice option would be to go with a pair of hand built H Plus Son Archetypes in black. They are really becoming popular: http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/11/beautiful-bicycle-my-argonaut-road/#25 and [url][/url]

I was planning on removing the decals from the fork, but when they were one the bike I hardly noticed them at all. They are very subtle.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

:beerchug:

Bravo!
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

stein

by stein

It just wont't stop raining, but I tried to take some pictures with the new wheels anyway. I've also painted the cage of the rear derailleur black, and I'm gonna do the same with the red logos on the shifters, again, if it just could stop raining.....
Autumn leaves
Autumn leaves

Rear derailleur painted to match anodized dropouts
Rear derailleur painted to match anodized dropouts

Frankie13

by Frankie13

That's a very nice bike and I do like the changes you made. This frame/bike doesn't need all the flash.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Agreed: a really beautiful bike, and even better for the changes you've been making. Fewer colors elsewhere draw your eye to the amazing grains and color in the wood. Well done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com