Cervelo R5 price drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1415chris

by 1415chris

caddis such a useful first post. Thanks and welcome!
I'm just about to buy one for myself and was wondering what bb I will need.

Where did you source your frame from, if I may ask?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

caddis

by caddis

1415chris wrote:Where did you source your frame from, if I may ask?

Thanks, and yeah that indeed was my first post..

I ordered mine from Primera. They said that they will have frames coming at the beginning of November and one is allocated for me.

Hopefully everything goes ok. Primera is reputable company what I have read, but this was my first time ordering from there.

I was in the market for +-2000€ frame-set, but was considering Giant TCR Advanced SL and some others as well, but that offer was just too tempting...

I will take my chance with Record cranks, but if that does not work will swap for Rotors..

jipperd

by jipperd

@caddis. The combination of BBright and campa bearing system can certainly create some problems. Working at the Cervélo store and owning a R5WVD, and our mechanic a S5, we've experienced this ourself.The problem is the section of the bearing that is pressed into the frame is to short, therefor there is aprox. only 1,5cm in the frame. This is such an small part the epoxy isn't able to keep it in position in all terms. This results in the bearing(cups) coming loose. In my own frameset we've added a wave washer, this solved the problem ever since.

tiquitain

by tiquitain

jipperd wrote:@caddis. The combination of BBright and campa bearing system can certainly create some problems. Working at the Cervélo store and owning a R5WVD, and our mechanic a S5, we've experienced this ourself.The problem is the section of the bearing that is pressed into the frame is to short, therefor there is aprox. only 1,5cm in the frame. This is such an small part the epoxy isn't able to keep it in position in all terms. This results in the bearing(cups) coming loose. In my own frameset we've added a wave washer, this solved the problem ever since.

Which will be fit better? Rotor 3D+ or Sram Red BB30?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Sram red bb30 will not fit. No "pure" bb30 cranks will fit.

jipperd

by jipperd

The BBright system is developed in close collaboration with Rotor. The Rotor 3D+ is specificly designed for the BBright system and will provide the best performance.

tiquitain

by tiquitain

If I change to Rotor 3D+ with Qrings, which size will be the oval rings? The same than the Campy Record that I have (53/39)? Or maybe less (50/36) because the oval effect?

caddis

by caddis

jipperd wrote:@caddis. The combination of BBright and campa bearing system can certainly create some problems. Working at the Cervélo store and owning a R5WVD, and our mechanic a S5, we've experienced this ourself.The problem is the section of the bearing that is pressed into the frame is to short, therefor there is aprox. only 1,5cm in the frame. This is such an small part the epoxy isn't able to keep it in position in all terms. This results in the bearing(cups) coming loose. In my own frameset we've added a wave washer, this solved the problem ever since.

Thanks for the very good info, desing of the campy bbright adapter seems to be a bummer...

This starts to be little bit offtopic, but did you add wave washers for both sides?

Just got info from Primera that they have the frame, and will ship it now...so far Primera service have been exellent.

1415chris

by 1415chris

I spoke to guys at Primera and was told that 58, the size I'm after, wouldn't be restocked.
But found it in another shop (Ireland), so I shall be placing an order, hurray :)

BB30 cranks have too short spindle for bbright (68mm+11mm). Shame that there are only very few cranks dedicated for this system.
Rotor, personally, doesn't appeal to me. Probably I'll go for Sram Red gxp with some modifications, dropping 90g ish over the record crank.
But with this discussion we should move over to another thread :wink:

tiquitain

by tiquitain

Which type of gear barrel adjuster has the R5 frame? Threaded or non-threaded?

freemyheel
Shop Owner

by freemyheel

Fwiw, I've installed multiple SRAM bb30 cranks on a bbright frame. You just have to remove the bearing preload ring from the non drive side crank, and add a couple of standard bb30 plastic spacers and a wavy washer.
K.P.A.

Donn12

by Donn12

Ghost234 wrote:I'm not sure about the UK dealers, but in North America back in January there was something called Share the Ride.

Essentially, you would have 2 people buy a Cervelo together and each would save $1000.

Cervelo would give dealers an R5 frameset in return for each package sale.

This is most likely the result of the sale. The R5 is an amazing bike, highly recommended. Cervelo also have already released the 2013 line up, so there is nothing big coming down the tubes just yet (but very soon)

What is coming in the future? I am going to get an R5 but if integrated Di2 or something else big was around the corner I would wait.

konky

by konky

I would say dedicated electronic is round the corner, guaranteed.

tiquitain

by tiquitain

Which headset spacers will fit the R5? because its 1-3/8" fork

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Permon

by Permon

caddis wrote:

This starts to be little bit offtopic, but did you add wave washers for both sides?

No! You would change chainline! Both wave washers to the left cup.
More about never-ending troubles with Campa cups and BBright here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93006&p=933099#p933099" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;