Shimano 5700 levers with Avid BB7 road calipers

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Read from RBR forum, that ST-5700 levers have more cable pull than older models and they work better with BB7 MTN version. Anybody can comment this? Or has anybody had problems using 5700 with BB7 road?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

Yes, the 5700 pull a little more cable. Even with the Road BB7s, this will be good. I've run a couple of non-Shimano levers with Road BB7s, and I've had to "pre-load" the actuator arm to get the proper travel/cable pull.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

So I´m good with 5700/BB7 Road combo? Going to order these today.
Just can´t understand why some say BB7 MTN work better.
RBR forum wrote:5700 and 6700 have more cable pull and work better with MTN BB7's.

I am currently running 5700 with MTN BB7's and love it. I have another bike that has Apex brifters with road BB7's. Comparing both, the braking is much more powerful on the 5700/MTN BB7's setup. You need to use a good cable housing that does not compress and adjust the BB7's so the pads are closer to the rotor. If you don't do those things, the brake lever would hit the handlebar before getting a good brake force to stop the MTN BB7's. They require longer travel than the road BB7's.

RBR forum wrote:Bingo! This guy gets it.
I rented a tandem last year with this set-up. The tandem geek/guru/mechanic ( his business card has this on it!) told me that after much trial and tribulation...this was the set up that worked best with newer Shimano levers. He also swore by Shimano XTR/DuraAce brake cable.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I'm running the 6800 STIs with Road BB7s, and would be happy about a little more cable pull. That would allow to leave the caliper a little more open to avoid grinding after wheel swaps, and still have enough pull for all-out stopping. Will try some Tektro levers some time. Think you'll be fine, what you don't want is less cable pull.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

rainerhq wrote:So I´m good with 5700/BB7 Road combo? Going to order these today.
Just can´t understand why some say BB7 MTN work better.
RBR forum wrote:5700 and 6700 have more cable pull and work better with MTN BB7's.

I am currently running 5700 with MTN BB7's and love it. I have another bike that has Apex brifters with road BB7's. Comparing both, the braking is much more powerful on the 5700/MTN BB7's setup. You need to use a good cable housing that does not compress and adjust the BB7's so the pads are closer to the rotor. If you don't do those things, the brake lever would hit the handlebar before getting a good brake force to stop the MTN BB7's. They require longer travel than the road BB7's.

RBR forum wrote:Bingo! This guy gets it.
I rented a tandem last year with this set-up. The tandem geek/guru/mechanic ( his business card has this on it!) told me that after much trial and tribulation...this was the set up that worked best with newer Shimano levers. He also swore by Shimano XTR/DuraAce brake cable.

Well...I am the guy in the second quote.
The levers will work with either calipers. The mtb calipers felt better than my road calipers on the tandem ( there is a real LONG rear cable run)
I am in the process of building a disc cross bike and am going to try both style calipers...and hope that someone comes out with a hydro system that works...

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I´m also building CX bike with discs. Ordered 5700 levers and BB7 Road calipers. Hope this combo will work.

ooo

by ooo

TPR Spyre (road pull) or TRP Spyke (mtb pull) - which is better for ST-5700/6700 or ST-5800/6800?
and how they are compared to BB7?
'

PMC

by PMC

ooo wrote:TPR Spyre (road pull) or TRP Spyke (mtb pull) - which is better for ST-5700/6700 or ST-5800/6800?
and how they are compared to BB7?

TRP Spyre (road) with 6800 levers are really good, much better than BB7 in every way. Haven't tried them with 57/6700 but also have 5700 with BB7s on my commuter and they're awful by comparison.

ooo

by ooo

Thanks for info. May be you also know if they are compatible with SM-RT81 or other rotors with big spiders?
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com