New Pedals, going from Dura Ace 7800

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jaketim114

by jaketim114

I'd recommend speedplay zero titanium. Light, dual sided entry, good cornering clearance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

I'm using Time RXS Carbon for 4 years.
Shimano feels nice also.
Didn't use Speedplay but read good reviews.
You should go with the best offer. All of them are good :)

boysa

by boysa

The bearings just went kaput in my Look Blades, and frankly I've seen too many other problems with them to go that route again. I've decided to go elsewhere. I'm leaning towards Shimano PD 9000, but can anyone comment on any noticeable difference in the bearings between Shimano, Look, Campy, etc.?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Franklin

by Franklin

boysa wrote:The bearings just went kaput in my Look Blades, and frankly I've seen too many other problems with them to go that route again. I've decided to go elsewhere. I'm leaning towards Shimano PD 9000, but can anyone comment on any noticeable difference in the bearings between Shimano, Look, Campy, etc.?

Although I could point out the search function:

The consensus is that the Shimano pedals are the best pedals quality wise.

About the bearings in particular: Shimano bearings are high quality, be it hubs, brackets or pedal.

konky

by konky

I quite liked Speedplay but when I matched them with the Sidi specific shoes I liked them a lot. In fact I think they are the best pedal system. For a combination of power transfer, weight and dual entry function they can't be beaten.

A big investment if you buy Speedplay pedals (Ti and alu bows) and Speedplay specific Sidi Ergo 3 shoes, but you'll have the best.

sawyer

by sawyer

I rode Ultegra SPD-SL, then Dura Ace SPD-SL then Keo Ti and now Blade Ti and Keo Ti HM. On the whole I prefer the WWness and aesthetic of Look pedals vs. Shimano, though the latter are excellent in function and as maxxevv says the cleats last longer than Look. Of the above 5 sets the Keo Blade Tis are, by a small margin, the hardest to clip in ... large metal plate is just a bit more slippery than the others. But any experienced cyclist should be fine.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bura

by bura

PSM wrote:After 5 yeras with KéO Carbon and the problem getting in them I decided to try D-A 900. I do not regret that.
Simply far better pedals than KéO. More solid. Easier to klick in. Go D-A.

Slightly off topic but posts like above are confusing me.

I knoıw from mates that they like Shimano and I do understand that the bearing quality may be better than Look Keo but aren't the
Shimano pedals made still under the expired previous Look Delta patent? They were in the 90's but did Shimano change (improve)the pedal&claet design meanwhile?
As the Look Keo pedal&cleat system is an 'improved' system compared to older Looks shouldn't the Keo work better than the Shimano pedals?
Is someone here having ridden the older Shimano pedals in the 90's to compare them with the current Shimano DA line?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Franklin

by Franklin

bura wrote:aren't the
Shimano pedals made still under the expired previous Look Delta patent?

SPD-SL is on the same three bolt standard, but everything else is different.

roca rule

by roca rule

@bura
There is slight changes to dura ace pedals with every new model. Whether it is bearings, weight, platform, durability, shimano pedals seem to be always changing in the right track. I would say that they are the best pedals for people that prioritize on contact points. The cleats can be walked on; the cleats are reasonably priced; no weight limits; almost maintenance free, and durable.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

check out the exustar ti pedals. compatible with look cleats (I use my look keo grip cleats and they work perfectly). I found them online for $175 free shipping. At 88g per pedal +65g for hardware. 241g for everything at $175 is hard to beat. build quality is good and they feel great.

eric

by eric

bura wrote:Is someone here having ridden the older Shimano pedals in the 90's to compare them with the current Shimano DA line?

I used the old LOOK licensed 7410s for years. 7803s and 7900s are much better in nearly every respect- the cleats don't squeak and don't wear out so fast from riding or walking, the cleats have rubber bumpers so they walk better, the release is more consistent. The stack height is noticeably lower. There's a steel wear plate so you don't wear out the pedal body. And they're lighter. The only thing that's not as good is that the entry is a little more difficult. If I raced crits I might consider double sided pedals.

jasoncd

by jasoncd

I prefer my Exustar over the Look Ti Blades. Just an easier clip in, much cheaper and the Ti version is right there in weight.

Not sure if Shimano has anything new upcoming with their 2013 stuff though.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

jaketim114 wrote:I'd recommend speedplay zero titanium. Light, dual sided entry, good cornering clearance.

??

Every speedplay pedal has those attributes, save differing weights.

I don't see the $/g benefit of the Ti pedals. But if you have the cash to splash, why not I guess.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Yeah getting the Zero chromoly and aftermarket Ti spindles is much cheaper/lighter and stronger 230lbs weight limit with a better treated Ti alloy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

borja

by borja

I suggest DA 7900 or the new 9000 (I dont think there is any difference despite graphics).
I'm using the 7900 after spending a few years on 7810. I love them.
For any serious riding, long durability, reasonably low weight, solid feel, stability and secure clip I think this is currently the best option.
They are not cheap but they will last. They weight the same as regular speedplays, they dont develop any play in the splindle (as Look), they dont crack (as Time), you dont have to clean and lube the cleats (as Speedplay). And the cleats allows you to walk as a human.