to sid or not to sid?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dewillem001

by dewillem001

Hello

Since my old rock shox gave its spirit, I'm looking for a new fork. My bike shop advised me a marzocchi mx comp or pro, because price/quality is very good and it fits my cc-needs.
Problem is, it weighs about 2kg and a sid fork weighs 1.25kg and you can buy it for the same price as the marzocchi if you go second hand! Because my entire bike weighs around 10kg, it is important.
I noticed that a lot of the listed bikes rode a sid fork. Do you have problems with it? Because I was told that it needs a lot of maintenance and that it is not so strong, because it was build to race.
I would be very gratefull if you could give me your experiences with the rock shox sid fork. Basically, the man said not to buy a sid, therefore my question.
Thanks in advance, dewillem

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polaris

by polaris

I think the main problem witht the SIDs is the lack of stiffness. I suppose its impossible to get something that light that also steers particularly well.

Maybe go for something from PACE, definitely stiff enough and not too heavy.
.....but it still has to work!

Knut

by Knut

Have a look at the Manitou Skareb Super, only marginally heavier than the SID Team and reportedly a lot stiffer. Just got mine in yesterday and can't comment on ridequality yet but it looks and feels superstrong for 1460 grams uncut with v-brake bosses. :)

karlux

by karlux

I had a Mars CL fork wich is also very light 1.3kg, now I have Sid SL '02 and Sid WC "03! Comparing those forks I can tell that Sid have best suspension system and it is lighter also. I have riden Marzochi and I don't like the way they work. Maybe Marzochi forks are stiffer, but I think that there are no need for that strong forks in XC. I haven't had any problems with my Sid. The man who said that Sid aren't good is probably only trying to sell you some crappy Marzochi fork because he have one!
I can add that I have paricipated in World Championships '02 and there nearly every racer had a Sid. The track was very dificult and I had no problems and nobody had any!
Light weight everything!

karlux

by karlux

I had a Mars CL fork wich is also very light 1.3kg, now I have Sid SL '02 and Sid WC "03! Comparing those forks I can tell that Sid have best suspension system and it is lighter also. I have riden Marzochi and I don't like the way they work. Maybe Marzochi forks are stiffer, but I think that there are no need for that strong forks in XC. I haven't had any problems with my Sid. The man who said that Sid aren't good is probably only trying to sell you some crappy Marzochi fork because he have one!
I can add that I have paricipated in World Championships '02 and there nearly every racer had a Sid. The track was very dificult and I had no problems and nobody had any!
Light weight everything!

jam23

by jam23

I have one Sid XC from 99 year (1.340 g), no maintenance, only two times oil changed in four years!!! and no more problems. I use it with disc brake and no problem too.
I think it´s the best fork but.......only to use in cross country, if you want a freeride or downhill fork, don´t use it!!!!

Ride free like the wind!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

dewillem001

by dewillem001

Thank you for all your reactions so far.
I looked a bit on the internet on reviews about the sid and also about pace forks (very nice looking forks, thanks for the tip). Through 'mtb review' I saw a lot of arguments against and pro sid and pace. Overall, Pace seemed not strong enough and leeked a lot of air and oil. The sid had better marks, bot I also saw a lot of bad points (oil leeks, bad stiffness,...).
So in fact I still don't really know which to look for?? Maybe people who send in such reviews are simply diehards or racers and than the forks may not perform enough for them? Because I can't really believe that forks of 600 to 1000€ can be bad!! Or can they?
Also, I'm not racing (only to myself and my speed computer), so maybe I won't have any problem at all with the sid, pace or some other light race fork!?
Thank you for your answers.

The R

by The R

Dude,
Why even go with suspension? That's what your elbows are for. Bend them as you go over bumps. (CC riders don't go over anything big enough). You should skip the Sids and anything else and just pick up some carbon fiber BMX forks for 24 or 26-inch wheels. Then you can really brag thhat you have the lightest bike on the block -- 10 Kg's? Put some carbon fiber forks on that bad boy and you'll be about 9.5. Still won't help your riding though...

CactusHead

by CactusHead

I have been using a SID XC on my RM Element for about three years now with no problems whatsoever. It does not leak air or oil, is stiff enough for my 200 lb body on rough, rocky trails and hasn't bent or anything serious like that yet. I have changed the oil a few times but still running on the original seals and internals. Sure it's not super stiff, but it has saved my ass on many occasions when I needed help from my front suspension in a bad way.

dewillem001

by dewillem001

about those stiff forks
does anyone has any experience with a stiff pace fork or a stiff steinbach? Because steinbach is a lot cheaper than pace. Any suggestions on other stiff forks?
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

There is a Morati Ti rigid fork on ebay.com right now, v-brake only I believe.
I have a Pace RC-31 which I have yet to install but it has got great reviews.