Washing Cycling Shoes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Colnago68

by Colnago68

Tip: For the first time ever, I did a full load of Sidi shoes yesteday in the dishwasher. It worked great with no issues. However, I don't recommend letting your wife know (unless she rides a bike) ... mine was very annoyed.

by Weenie

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Remember to disable any heat dry though. Might melt some shoes :)

djm

by djm

I just spray stain remover on the shoes after a wet ride and then let them soak for a while until I clean them with a wet rag. Turned my gray White Sidis enviably white agan and again :-)

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Good to hear that it worked. Another good tip to keep shoes clean and comfy is some foot powder. I put some in every ride and my shoes feel more locked to place. Its super nice, especially on those hotter days.

KH1

by KH1

Has anyone ever washed their shoes in a washing machine? I was thinking you colud wrap them in a towel and stick the towel in a washing bag to stop all the thumping and bashing that would go on.
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story......
Argon
CAAD9 6.78Kg
Supersix 6.78Kg

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

uraqt

by uraqt

KH1 I wouldn't wash them in the machine, I think sidi says wipe clean only

I have washed my sidi a few times in the washing machine, I am sure that it is not good for them... they are extra soft compared to new ones and I think the lining around the heel cup failed because of it. That said they are around 15 years old so I should really complain and they fit like a glove. I am sure that they will last another 5 or 10 years, unless I crash or loose them :)

I just used a little super glue to keep the heel lining from getting worse..

C

deltree

by deltree

http://cycleangelo.cc/post/33648743892/shoesteez101

I pretty much use this method, except on my Bonts, which take forever to dry.

Rick

by Rick

I just wash mine with mild soap and a brush, rinse thoroughly, and set over a heat vent overnight. I do this 3-4 times per year or whenever I get caught by some mud or dirty rainwater. Doesn't bother Specialized S-Works shoes a bit.

cerro

by cerro

KH1 wrote:Has anyone ever washed their shoes in a washing machine?

I'm putting my Mavicshoes in the washing machine, works great. But my Sidi Ergo 3 I wouldn't, feels like the leather is a bit more fragile so there I do as Rick when it's needed.
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

by Weenie