Assos Bonka jacket vs. Assos Habu jacket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Does it make sense to buy the Assos Bonka winter jacket when I already have a Assos Habu jacket that is meant for early winter? I mean, there is a lot of overlap between Assos jackets and there temperature use. Can anybody help me out here?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

Which one's lighter?
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I don't know, but I guess the Habu jacket.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

By WW decree, I think you have your answer.

I also think you are better off buying performance base layers than spending more on a completely separate outer layer.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

aerozy

by aerozy

True mate! Its all about base layers. I ride in about any winter weather condition (lets say up to -10C) and believe it or not down to 2C I use only two base layers and my typical summer jersey with arm warmers. Warm enough, super breathable and keeps me from looking like a Christmas Fred (at least for a while). Lower body wise I use my normal bibs with normal leg warmers.

Good gloves and overshoes are the key for me.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

LionelB

by LionelB

First question to answer is are you cold in your habu ?

sedluk

by sedluk

I have both. The Assos Bonka is warmer and has better neck protection. There is considerable overlap because you can wear base layers with both. I think both are great jackets.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

No until now I am not cold in my Habu, but I have not used the Habu in temperatues below 5 degrees C.
I think that the Habu can be used in fall, winter and spring. The Bonka is winter only, I guess but maybe bonka rocks during the winter.
Can you tell me more about the Bonka Sedluk? Which one do you prefer and why?

sedluk

by sedluk

I would not claim to be an expert in cold weather riding. I really have a distaste for cold weather riding.

Assos recommends wearing a base layer and I think it makes sense. The big problem is trying to keep your temperature warm enough but not so warm that you start to get sweaty. If your garment in not breathable or not breathable enough then you get clammy and bad things happen. You get cold and even worst you get chaffing ect…

So your Assos base is very breathable and by the time it is cold enough to wear either the Bonka jacket or the Habu jacket it is time for a long sleeve base. I have several thicknesses of base.

The Bonka is both a little thicker and a little warmer but also has a little more wind protection on the arms but probably more noticeably better wind protection on the top of the shoulders and neck.

My experience would suggest dressing so that you are a little on the cold side but pay attention to where you are the coldest. If you are wearing the Habu with a base layer and you are still a little too cold overall then a thicker base is probably the best move. But I find that with the Habu and medium or thick base it will eventually be the wind on my shoulder and upper arms that is the cold spot. At that point if I ride in colder weather then the Bonka with a thinner long sleeve base would keep me a little warmer but also more evenly cool.

I think the general rule would be error a little on the cool side and also a little on the more breathable side which generally means cooler fronts of the arms, shoulders and neck where the wind is hitting you.

To complicate this is how sunny. windy or humid and how fast of a ride. And then the problems of a longer ride were the temperature is rising or falling.

So there you have it, from a guy that is not very good at riding in the cold.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks for your imput. I will try and error in teh weeks to come. The weather in the Netherlands is not that harsh during winter, but it can be cold. I bought a Assos winter base layer already so I will try it in combination with the Habu. The craft base layers that I use are fine and excelent together with the Habu.
If the weather starts to be really cold in de months to come and the Habu combination is not warm enough I will buy the Bonka.

keith

by keith

I have both, the Bonka is the warmer, and has the built in neck gaiter. The Habu seems to be a looser fit and so you could get thicker base layers under it if need be. For real warmth get the Fugu!!
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sedluk

by sedluk

I also have the Fugu, it is very thick and the built in hood is amazing. But it is not very breathable. The latest line of Assos jackets are much more breathable than the element one, 851 and Fugu and it is huge difference. I hope they update the Fugu someday with all of their latest materials.
Last edited by sedluk on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

I was thinking the same Habu v Bonka

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I bought the Bonka as well. I have the Habu and the Bonka now and both jackets are different enough to purchase them both. The Bonka is warmer, thicker and heavier. The Habu is great when the temperature is not too cold and autumnal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Bonka in Swedish... Hmmm... :)