Carbon Brake Pad Compatibility Issues?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

true

by true

Did some searches but nothing really answered my query. Probably more so related to my own gear... but here goes, hoping you guys can help me.

Am I able to use Lightweight Carbon brake pads on Enve wheels? and vice versa.

Am I able to use Enve Carbon brake pads on Lightweight wheels?

I'm not sure if the Enve pads and Lightweight (actually Swissstop ones) pads are compatible with each others wheels. I'm hoping they are which would make life easier when changing wheels between bikes.

Anyone with experience on this? Thanks in advance.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Checking the websites/included warranties with your wheels will answer this question.

It's also contained within the threads about them...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

true

by true

RTFM... yeah, thanks.

mm2zz

by mm2zz

Not sure, but you can switch to a cork pad like the Corima or Shimano and have them work great on any carbon wheel.

Geoff

by Geoff

The manufacturers may tell you 'no', but I have never had problems with interchanging carbon-specific pads between wheelsets. Incidentally, I agree with mm2zz that cork pads are the way to go for interchangeability. Also, they provide the best overall braking performance (in dry conditions, anyway).

CarbonSportsGmbH
in the industry

by CarbonSportsGmbH

Geoff wrote:The manufacturers may tell you 'no', but I have never had problems with interchanging carbon-specific pads between wheelsets. Incidentally, I agree with mm2zz that cork pads are the way to go for interchangeability. Also, they provide the best overall braking performance (in dry conditions, anyway).

Could not have said better... If you don't want to loose warranty on your Lightweights stay with the "Lightweight by Swissstop"-pads, please.
I'm not quite sure which pads Enve allows to be used...maybe you can use the Lightweight-pads on them.
Andreas Schiwy, CarbonSports GmbH
http://www.lightweight.info
support[at]lightweight.info

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Geoff wrote:The manufacturers may tell you 'no', but I have never had problems with interchanging carbon-specific pads between wheelsets. Incidentally, I agree with mm2zz that cork pads are the way to go for interchangeability. Also, they provide the best overall braking performance (in dry conditions, anyway).

This exactly.

eric

by eric

I found the koolstop carbon pads to be the Worst. Brake pad. Ever. They squealed like a garbage truck's brakes, were losing major chunks after an hour's ride, and stopped poorly.

This was on Reynolds rims. Maybe they work on other rims, or maybe I got a bad set.

Rim makers change/update their recommendations over the years. For example Reynolds used to recommend Swiss Stop Yellow but now recommend their own pads (which work much better and are cheaper too).

true

by true

Thanks guys, yeah in the interest of keeping warranties and stuff, I'll spend that bit more time changing pads as well. I'd be devastated if I ever did come across an issue only to know that the damage wasn't warranted cause of my laziness.

The price we pay for top end gear I suppose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

eric wrote:I found the koolstop carbon pads to be the Worst. Brake pad. Ever. They squealed like a garbage truck's brakes, were losing major chunks after an hour's ride, and stopped poorly.

This was on Reynolds rims. Maybe they work on other rims, or maybe I got a bad set.

Same here. I have some older MV32 tubies on my cross bike, and even after cleaning the braking surface and the pads, I get terrible squealing. Enough to make it hard to get motivated to get on that wheel set. :cry: