longer than normal eta?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fat tire

by fat tire

I have been getting/buying high end bikes for years now. I get the mountain bike in the fall/winter and the road bike in the spring. The longest I have ever had to wait is 2 weeks. I just found out the mtb I ordered last week will not be arriving until February. During the 2008 financial meltdown companies started carrying less, but what is up with the long wait now? Is this an isolated incident, or are companies going back to making bikes after the orders are placed as opposed to having stock?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racermech

by racermech

Custom? Small company? or is this a big brand?

fat tire

by fat tire

Big brand and nothing custom.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

New model or design? I had to wait a few months for my BMC when they were first released and I know that many people ordered a P-5 last year or at least early this year and will not get it until December or January.

fat tire

by fat tire

That is good info. It is a slight redesign but nothing major. In the past I still did not notice delays due to redesign, but that might be what it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Could be one of many reasons. I can think of a few:

1. stuff is more complex these days and more things could go wrong (Scott seatpost anyone?).
2. good manufacturing is getting a bit more concentrated at a smaller number of factories, so there could well be a back log (BTW, those who think their $400 ebay frame is rolling off the same production line as Scott/C'dale/Pinarello, you are kidding urself).
3. stuff gets redesigned more frequently and there are more models out there. C40 went for over 10 years, C50 went for like what, 6-7 years? Then there is EP, EC, EPS, C59, EPQ rolling out. Plus there are so many color options and BB standards out there. Top brands typically have 60-100 frame models these days. They could well have lots of inventory but the one YOU ordered may take more time to get.
4. Pure luck.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal