So what's the verdict on the CX disc debate?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

For your next cyclocross bike, which brakes will you use

Disc's
63%
Canti's
26%
V's
12%

Total votes: 112

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

ms6073 wrote:
elviento wrote:Which would YOU pick?
I already voted with my wallet back in late April when I order some carbon disc cross frames from Dengfu and 28 hole carbon tubulars built up with Novatec disc brake hubs from Farsports! Season starts in Texas this weekend but most likely wont face conditions that really demonstrate a true test until next weekend in Fort Collins.

So give us a run down? How did it all perform? What's the build etc?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Here is an article on the issue from the professional's perspective that I thought you guys might find interesting: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/ ... kes_263893

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Great article Geoff and I feel another coffee induced rant coming on!

The thing all the bike companies are not telling you about disc brakes in CX is the incredible and immediate wear. Pros are getting as little as a single lap out of disc pads and rotors. The wear is too fast and too great + the risk of pads getting fouled or clogged with mud or sand is too great. A canti brake operates full of mud and sand... A disc caliper clogs and creates immediate drag.

Also disappointing is all these high end disc equipped cross bikes are coming out to market with clincher rims and tubeless tires... Sure, ok for training... but do you see pros on those setups?

The pros ride what they are given... And bike companies want to always sell something new. But those US domestic pros also have 3 extra bikes in the pit. Look at the teams in the trenches: Van Dessel has been extensively testing various disc options and are not sold on the performance - in fact races have been faultered due to disc failures. Sachs/RGM? Those guys are hard core traditionalists and adhere to strict standardization. I suspect hell would freeze over first. Look at Mr Zinn's bikes. The tech guru of all gurus... And mind you he is crushing the 55+ scene.

CX is not about braking. The key is to pre-ride a course and determine where NOT to brake. Fine tune tire pressures and tread types so corner speed and traction can stay as high as possible.

The epic battle in the deep Zenhoven sand this past weekend is quite telling. Nys, Albert... And the rest of the euro pro camp... No discs. No mini Vs for that matter either... Just not enough pad clearance and still too grabby for some (but there are some who like them).

Out at Interbike and Cross Vegas I kept hearing... "Yeah, but In a few years... Disc brake conversion will come full circle..." I call baloney.

Want a hot brake tip? TRP Revox or tried and true 950sls. Light wheels and handmade tubular tires by FMB or Dugast.

The Swiss stop guys hooked me up with some new Black Prince pads I just switched over to on my 950sls... Awesome!

elmar schrauth
Shop Owner

by elmar schrauth

Van der Haar said, his hands cramped from braking
so he lost Positions.

jonbek

by jonbek

Am I really to believe that current disc pads/rotors—say bb7—will not last an entire hour of a CX race?

onetwo

by onetwo

)

Geoff

by Geoff

@Rich_W, sure, professional riders race on what they are given, but there are limits. Both Sven and Niels have made it pretty clear that they aren't going to ride discs...yet.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

@ jonbek - under a pro... absolutely. Under a good amateur... more. Depends on conditions. But pad and rotor wear are clearly a problem.

@Geoff - Well Sven is talking retirement. Really depends on what tech we see coming out in the next few years. But I just don't buy it.

@ Elmar - not sure what you getting at... was he riding discs or cantis? Course conditions?

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

jonbek wrote:Am I really to believe that current disc pads/rotors—say bb7—will not last an entire hour of a CX race?

According to Stu Throne he didn't replace any brake pads after the races the team did in Belgium...

Rich_W

by Rich_W

First pic of SRAM hydraulic levers surfaces

limba

by limba

Finally! I was wondering if we would see them in 2012. I doubt they'll work but at least it's starting to happen. C'mon, Shimano Dura-Ace! :)

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

limba wrote:I doubt they'll work but at least it's starting to happen.

Why do you say that?

limba

by limba

Based on SRAM/Avid's history of making bad brakes there's no way they can get it right on their first try.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Or maybe they have learnt from all their mistakes this time?

Geoff

by Geoff

Interesting all the same... The problem I have with discs for 'cross, other than that they are quite a bit heavier, is they don't feel as good as cantilevers. If 'cross had more long descents like MTB, then it might make more sense to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com