My Cervelo S5, help with sensible upgrades?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

IchDien

by IchDien

Hello,

About 11 months ago I took the plunge and got myself a road bike after years of watching the sport. All I can say is that I absolutely love it and am cycling 3-4 times a week now about 3-500km(+). I've been trying as hard as I can to learn as much about everything, and it has been a bit of a struggle as I live abroad (Italy) and the language isn't my strongest point but I'm getting there and can talk adequately with my LBS. However, I know that LBS always have a certain slant when it comes to parts and I'd prefer some neutral feedback.

I bought a bike at the time with "upgrade" potential in case I really did get into it, which I have, and now have around £1-2.5k (would like to spend as least as possible, though!) that I wouldn't mind putting into some equipment. I'm still only quite young (25) and ride mainly solo but on occasion a group ride with some local lads. I would definitely like to get into granfondos and crits at some stage.

As for my surroundings I live in Veneto so it is mostly flat but I do try to get into the dolomites at least once a week so weight is sometimes a factor when it comes to the bike. My fitness and weight (183cm, 70kg) is quite good at the moment so all that about improving the motor etc, whilst I do understand isn't really what I'm after :D

Here is what I have currently:

Cervelo S5
Full Campag. Athena Carbon 2012
3T ARX Stem - upgraded a few months ago
3T Ergosum Team - upgraded a few months ago
Fizik Antares (no upgrade option as the S5 seatpost can't take carbon rails)
Look KEO Classic pedals
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL
Elite Custom race bottle cages

I think the weight is about 7.7kg right now with that and I'd really like to get it down, ideally at the lowest cost. Please do any of you have any suggestions? I know there are little things - like for example a KMC-SL chain which would save 27g etc - and it's stuff like that I'd like to hear about (as finding out about these things is a real struggle in a foreign language) as well as more obvious choices.

Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place.

Will probably work better as an Intro thread
Last edited by IchDien on Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could easily shave alot of weight with the wheels. The ones your on now are around 1740 grams, and you could easily shave 400 grams or more off of that which would be the most noticeable way to get your bike to accelerate a bit more quickly. Additionally, with the right setup, they could be quite a bit stiffer as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wcl4

by Wcl4

+1 - wheels will give you the biggest difference bang for the buck. I would think about components after that although the Athena is pretty solid.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

+3 to new wheels.....sell yours and help pay for some new ones! they will make the biggest difference
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

durianrider

by durianrider

Lowest cost?

Sell the Cervelo and get a bike that is lighter. Plenty of light Giants/Scott/Treks etc on fleabay in good nick.

I just got a schmick RS with full Red + CK R45 hubs + TRP 950sl brakes etc weighing in at 7.145 with XTR 980 pedals and cages. Got the bike w/o pedals for 1000$AUD off a local rider that upgraded to a R5ca.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

mrfish

by mrfish

My first pick is also the wheels, then there are all the small details you can improve, e.g. extralite headset expander, supersonic inner tubes... These make little difference individually, but together you can save 500g on most bikes without spending a huge amount.

I would be surprised if you can't use a carbon railed saddle - I thought you could get replacement clamps for the seat post.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Aero road does come with a bit of a weight penalty, but if you're a crit racer I think you're probably better off that you would be with a lighter R5.

IchDien

by IchDien

Thank you very much for your help so far.

Obviously I bought the bike (S5) a) Because where I live is flat and b) I prefer the look of the S5. Selling it and buying a lighter bike although an option isn't particularly viable. I just want to cut down the weight a tiny bit (more towards the UCI limit) to help on the climbs - I don't want a 6KG bike.

Many of you have said that wheelset is where to look - can anyone suggest something slightly more specific? Would it just be a case of buying some Zipp 404 Tubulars and forgetting it, or are there more viable alternatives out there?

Cheers!

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

as far as wheel options go imho u are limited to tall (deep) wheels because of the big tubs of the s5. and if you are shooting for 1400g , deep carbon wheels, you'd need some carbon braking surfaces on them. shallow rims will look dumb

my reynolds sdv66 come in at around 1400g at 66mm deep and for all intensive purposes do what they are intended to do. i dunno about aero dynamic properties of them, but they look sweet for internet pictures and sound cool when they spin. that's the most important thing

NGMN

by NGMN

Some "cheaper" things that come to mind are:
brakes - either Planet X cnc or KCNC
housing and cables - alligator i-links or the like
skewers - KCNC for example
bolt tuning - alloy bottle cage bolts and derailleurs; ti bolts elsewhere
Latex tubes (don't save a ton of weight but roll faster)
Look Keo ti spindles (can be found on ebay)
seat post cut
carbon bottle cages

I agree that wheels would go a long ways towards a lighter bike. I think the best bet for a budget aero tubular wheel is to find something built on the non-dimpled 404 rim; like American Classic 58s or something of that sort. Wheel set weights are around 1400 grams and they can be had for around $1200 in the U.S.

If you did all of the above you'd probably be close to your goal.

IchDien

by IchDien

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com