"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

petepeterson

by petepeterson

well he may have just been tired from a full season on the road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

How 'bout that Nys?!

qwop

by qwop

Geoff wrote:How 'bout that Nys?!

Incredible. In just about every race he's in where a crash or mechanical doesn't stop him from a top-2 placing, he teaches those damn youngsters how to ride some real 'cross! Timeless.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Tyler Hamilton making more accusations, this time about Jens Voigt.

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/voigt-spytter-mig-i-ansigtet
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I dare to bet, Jens was also doping!

maquisard

by maquisard

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

The article never states that he did, Hamilton doesn't even say he saw or suspected him of doping.

What it is does say is that Hamilton is of the opinion that Jens believes doping never happened, something that he ( Voigt ) has never actually said.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

maquisard wrote:What it is does say is that Hamilton is of the opinion that Jens believes doping never happened, something that he ( Voigt ) has never actually said.
I relied on the admittedly imperfect Google translation, but I don't believe that's what the articles says that Hamilton said that Jens said. Hamilton said that he doesn't believe Jens when Jens says that he didn't see or know of doping. I didn't read anywhere a claim that Jens believes doping never happened - rather that he didn't see or know of it - that's not the same thing. Now does Jens' assertion strain credulity? That determination is left as an exercise for the reader ... and the Jens fanboys (of whom there have been quite a few on this board).

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

so is cav to OPQS a done deal

if so, what will most likely happen to their component sponsor sram. i know pro and shimano have followed cav around and he's all about these di2 sprint shifters etc . i dunno how these component sponsors work, but will OPQS maybe use shimano next year? cav use sram? cav use unbranded shimano stuff? i dunno.

maquisard

by maquisard

Well, Hamilton states that he cannot believe that Jens didn't talk with Jullich about doping. But then again Jullich states that he only doped 1998/1999. Again believe that if you will. They probably did talk about doping but not about personal doping programs. Since Jullich was not apparently doping at the time that is probably fair enough.

Some might say that what Voigt says is also backed up by Brad McGee who also saw nothing and is quite supportive of Voigt. Again believe that if you will but it is a balanced view against Tyler Hamilton, who apparently is the new Jesus of cycling.

Additionally Voigt rode for CA before CSC, a team which the likes of Boardman and Vaughters have also confirmed was free of a team driven doping programs. In fact, in the 90's it was probably the only clean French team. Moreau perhaps being an exception.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

The optimism of most cycling fans never ceases to amaze!

maquisard

by maquisard

Not saying Voigt never doped. But by the same token people actually believe Wiggins rode clean and won the Tour this year...

artray

by artray

Voigt has been around so many busted riders that it's hard to believe he's never doped . Top Bloke and all that . Nice guys can dope.

KWalker

by KWalker

One reason I have to believe that Jens either did not dope, or was not very good at it if he did, is that his career has been pretty flat. Sure, he's a great rider and talented domestique, but that's all he has ever been. He never went from domestique to climbing ace overnight and he's had a hell of a lot of misses for how many successes he's had. Had he not been so affable I doubt people would really care about him the same way that they do. Its the same as if Hoogerland had never hit that fence and finished afterwards in a way.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

artray

by artray

Jens was never or never considered himself a team leader. He was always a super domestique who could really do a lot of damage and win the odd race or 2 . It would have been interesting to see what Jens could have done i.e. like Wiggo if he had put is mind to it. He can Climb pretty well for a big guy.
A lot of riders were doping . They had to in order to compete and push for there team leader .

EKIMIKE

by EKIMIKE

KWalker wrote:Had he not been so affable I doubt people would really care about him the same way that they do. Its the same as if Hoogerland had never hit that fence and finished afterwards in a way.

A most salient point. Voigt is larger than life... and his palmares. Hoogerland barely has a palmares (harsh but true in the context of a well known pro). They are simply affable characters of cycling first and foremost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com