Bars to match a Thompson X2 stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Snicks

by Snicks

Okay, so I'm gonna come straight out and say this is a purely aesthetic question, I'm looking for recommendations for an ALLOY, shallow drop bar to match the shiny black/machined look of the Thompson X2 stem. Something that is similarly machined would be super cool, but I can't seem to think of anything like that off the top of my head? :noidea:

So if anyone has any recommendations, or even better any pictures of your own set-up I'd love to get your input!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

3t ergonova stealth? The gloss black bit should match nicely. Thomson dont want to invest in the kit for bars according to their website.

Snicks

by Snicks

I had considered those, but they're carbon, and I break carbon bars regularly. It seems that whilst I can avoid breaking my collarbone (touch wood) the carbon bars are the sacrifice! But yeah they would look good together...

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

zipp , short shallow, beyond black , the gloss would pull out the thomson gloss/shine?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

You could wait for the Thomson bars:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/08/ima ... s-surface/
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

mattyb95

by mattyb95

MattSoutherden wrote:You could wait for the Thomson bars:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/08/08/ima ... s-surface/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aren't they all carbon? OP asked for alloy bar suggestions.

SpinnerTim

by SpinnerTim

The Deda Newton Shallow seems to check all of your boxes. Black, alloy, shallow. They're not shiny, but the industrial matte finish pairs nicely with the Thomson machined aesthetic. Just remember to buy the black one, not the polished metal, and their width measurements are outer-to-outer, not center-to-center.

-Tim

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

wow, those thomson bars are HIDeous! The only thomson stem that I think looks good is the X4 which is what I have on my bike. I know it is HEAVY but as for looks, it is a sexy stem IMO. I'm replacing it with ritchey c260 (my mom got me for xmas already) which weighs in at 102g. I'm thinking about looking into the new 2013 c260 superlogic stem which looks like a beast!

As for the bars to match, I would go with the zipp short and shallow mentioned above.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I quite like the look of Thompsen's new bars. Shame they are so expensive. Deda make some excellent bars, the zero ticks alot of boxes.

Snicks

by Snicks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I do like the zipp bars a lot, and the shape looks really good

109er

by 109er

FSA Wing Pro. shiny black alloy handlebar.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

SpinnerTim wrote:The Deda Newton Shallow seems to check all of your boxes. Black, alloy, shallow. They're not shiny, but the industrial matte finish pairs nicely with the Thomson machined aesthetic. Just remember to buy the black one, not the polished metal, and their width measurements are outer-to-outer, not center-to-center.

-Tim

Wrong diameter at 31.7. Sounds like nitpicking but can result in damage to the faceplate or slipping of the bar.

Wcl4

by Wcl4

Ritchey has a few Wet Black alloy options

http://ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=355286

Snicks

by Snicks

@ultimobici

I thought that the Deda 31.7 = the industry standard of 31.8, it was just that they round down whilst everyone else rounds up?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com