Best 1" Headset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I'm looking for a 1" headset for a couple of builds that I'm doing - one is a decidedly non-WW Colombus Max frame that will probably get a King to go with the King BB. The other I'm up in the air about, it's going on a tri training bike (ie. something with better geometry for Colorado Mountains than a typical tri bike). I'm looking for something that is a 'set it, and forget it" kind of headset, but preferably one with a more squared/modern profile. Is there such a headset? The Cane Creek "40" looks the part, but is there someone who makes a headset that is better/more durable/maintenance-free?

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

HugoDrax

by HugoDrax

A friend of mine just picked up a Cane Creek 110 headset in silver and it was beautiful! It went in easily, the bearings feel good, and the lockring with the screw seems to work well. While the price might be a bit steep it is equal in quality to a King headset any day. My two cents!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

Acros AH-30

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

Campag! Record or chorus both came in 1". Beautiful headsets, not nearly as common as King, work just as well if not better. Serviceable loose ball bearings.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'd go Chris King, I've got a few bikes with Campagnolo head seats and have noticed the bearings have gone dry while sitting in the garage unused...

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Hi Juan - yes it is a custom build. I'm working on sorting out the fork and geometry at the moment. I'll adjust the spec of the frame to what I get for a fork and headset. It will be a nice steel bike to train on as I work on getting my triathlete mojo workin' again (it's been a while).

Campag, while very nice, isn't an option. I'll be building this with Dura Ace and won't put on a Record headset.

The CC 110 is very nice and high-quality I've heard, but I was looking for more of a squared profile to the headset rather than the rounded style like King. The Acros looks the part, but I don't know where to get Acros parts in the US - any suggestions?

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

bricky21

by bricky21

lancejohnson wrote:I don't know where to get Acros parts in the US - any suggestions?

They're imported by BTI, so most LBS should be able to order one unless I'm missing something :noidea:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The best 1" threadless headset I have come across is the I use. Miche. Weighs 90g so is WW and uses needle rollar bearings only. I have had it my all whether bike for a year and it so far has been faultless. Lighter, cheaper and better sealed than anything else out there. The only other 1" headsets that are an option are the FSA orbit 1", camapg record and crancreeks offering but all these are more expensive. Chris King also make one but given the price they charge and how good the Miche one is I cannot see why you want a CK 1" headset.

The only downside is that the Miche headset is silver only.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Campagnolo Record 1" just goes on and on and on and......

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They do but they cost twice as much. So if the Miche lasts half as long then it will be just as good. But I suspect it will last as long as a record headset.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If you grease it on regular intervals any headset would last a long time.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

elviento

by elviento

I never had any issues with King or Record, but I suppose Campy wins on both cost and stack height.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

mrfish

by mrfish

Don't bother with loose balls (Record, Dura Ace) if you ride in the wet. It will ride nicely, then you will open it up at some point and find the bearings are a mess of rust, likely with damaged races, making the whole headset a write off. Whereas with a sealed bearing headset you can just drop in new races for a few $.

I'd go with a mid range Cane Creek if budget is a concern, otherwise King.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Agree totally with mrfish...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com