Wilier Centro 1 SR...build options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Horacio

by Horacio

I just purchased this frame and would like some input/suggestions as how to proceed. To me, the frame/fork feel heavy. I know the fork is 430g, (actual) but it was hard to balance the frame on the small counter scale the shop had. The frame was roughly around 1000g. I need to try and make the build as light as possible while conforming with how I ride.

My height is 5'9" and I weigh 165 lbs...working on 160. I dont crit race, but have been told I'd be pretty good at it if I did, so I eventually might. I'm a powerful rider. I did a double century with 8400' of climbing solely in my 53 with a top 10 finish.
I like to do a lot of climbing and LOVE fast downhill descents. Riding 100 miles is pretty easy and I dig double centuries.
So here's what I'm looking at...
-2013 Di2
-Rotor 3D+ crank and possibly Q rings...open to suggestions here
-EE Brakes
-Would love Chris King headset and bottom bracket, but that wont be out until the first few months of 2013. So I have to use the Ritchey stuff that comes with the frame until Chris King items become avail.
-I currently have Zipp 303FC wheels, so I will transfer those over until I find/research a great climbing/descent (light) set of wheels.
-Pedals...I guess Look Keo Blade, Ti..open to suggestions.
-Stem/Bars...I have no clue what to do about the cockpit. Was thinking one piece Wilier Plasma Matt black bar would look cool..no idea how it performs. Or two piece is ok as long as its light and strong. Enve stem and bar? Zipp stem and VulaSprint bar? I really dont know whats right for my type of riding. I have the Easton EC90 aero bar right now and like it, except it has a lot of flex when I really get after it.
-11sp cassette...I would like one thats lighter than DA, but is Di2 friendly.
Any input or suggestions would be wonderful and greatly appreciated.

And please go taint someone else's thread if you're going to tell me installing Shimano on a Wilier is a sin. Its my choice.

In advance, thank you.

mxdclt

by mxdclt

I ride a Wilier Cento 1 SL, and I have the one piece Wilier Plasma bars (the Lampre yellow color) and I find that they ride very well. They are stiff enough that I don't notice any flex if I am really yanking on them to do a sprint uphill or to do a Saturday afternoon mid ride sprint, and I have also done some long technical downhills with them and they handle wonderfully (though I am sure that stability is more a factor of the bike). But most of all, I find these bars are very good at absorbing and dissipating vibrations so your hands don't ache from getting vibrated to death. I hope this helps, and I would love to see a pick when the build is done.

Also, for what its worth, I ride the Enve Smart 3.4 wheels (Clincher version) and I have no complaints about them as of yet, only have about 500 miles on them so far. They are pretty light (Have Tune 45 / 170 hubs, come in around 1325g) and stiff enough for my power output, and I am also 5'9" and 163.

Good luck on your build and I hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

The Ritchey Monocruve integrated bar/stem looks awesome.
http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=472278" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Suposed to be quite stiff. Would go well with the integrated post and fork on the SR. Match the Ritchey seat mast too.

Expensive though. And expensive to replace if you crash it. Also, the tops aren't round so you can't use an SRM style Garmin mount. Deal killer for me.

If my Cento1SR frame set ever gets here, I'm just going to build it up with old SRAM Red, Ritchey Evocurve aluminum bars & C260 stem. Their wet black. Going to get some Zipp 101s for training and group rides. Already have Reynolds Assault tubulars for racing. Also already have Selle Italia SLR carbon and Look Keo ti Blades.

Horacio wrote:To me, the frame/fork feel heavy. I know the fork is 430g, (actual) but it was hard to balance the frame on the small counter scale the shop had. The frame was roughly around 1000g.

What size and paint? I weighed a Med Red/White frame and fork at my LBS. Frame was 1220g and fork was 420g.

Gorgeous paint. High quality.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Horacio

by Horacio

I was weighing a M. It was the unpainted model, matte black and red. Since the forks are the same weight, I'd venture to say the frames are pretty close as well.
I wanted to see 1000g I guess. ;)
I assume you were weighing it w/o the seat mast topper?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Yeah, without the seat mast thing.

No, you're frame is probably close to 1000g. The paint adds a lot. I weighed an XL matte black and it was 1230g.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milliron/8 ... hotostream

Horacio

by Horacio

Finally got my frame. Weight comes in at 1162g for a size M matte black frame. The fork weighs 411g. Seat topper is 119g.
I did get the Rotor 3D+ crank with q rings. The rest of my orig build list remains the same. Going to try the Aican shift and brake cables. I had to resort to 2012 7900 mechanics because 2013 Di2 wont be avail for a few months and I cant wait to ride the bike. Also, I need to send in my rear wheel to Zipp for the 11sp cassette body and re-dishing. I'm pretty stuck on using the Wiler branded FSA plasma one piece stem/bar, but I'm hoping I can get over 0 pitch vs the -6 that I have on my current bike.
Can anyone recommend an alternative for the bar and stem? I need something light and rigid.
Water bottle cages are Tune at 22g each. I also picked up a Tune saddle to see how that feels.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Any photos of your SR built up Horacio? My frame should be coming in tomorrow.

Horacio

by Horacio

Its still in progress. Not in any hurry since I probably wont get my 9070 until the end of November if I'm lucky. Will get some pics up though.
Congrats on your purchase!
Whats on your build list?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Just junk I have laying around. Not the build it deserves.

Horacio

by Horacio

Well, like the frame?

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Sure looks good! Not built up yet though.

Horacio

by Horacio

Awesome color!
It looks really sharp!

Horacio

by Horacio

Whatever size you have, it's 100g heavier than my Med.

spartan

by spartan

jmilliron,

beautiful frame/color combo. i heard the flo green would not be available in north america. where did you order it from?

does the frameset come with both mechanical/electronic setup options ?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

jmilliron

by jmilliron

My LBS apparently has a good relationship with the importer. Was able to special order a batch of euro graphics frames.

Supposed to be electronic and mechanical internal routing ready.

Horacio wrote:Whatever size you have, it's 100g heavier than my Med.

Yup, it's a large.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com