Wheels - Easton vs Vision..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addicted

by addicted

Looking for some new road wheels. Not many long climbs where I ride, nothing more than 1 - 2km in length.
Based on price and what is easily available to me at the moment, was looking at the Vision TC50, and the Easton EC90 Aero.
Visions are a bit wider. Eastons a little lighter.
Anyone here happen to try the Visions? Not many reviews out there..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

I rode the Visions before I jumped for the Easton EC90 SL's - there are in a different league IMO, I would be considering some Enve as a same standard comparison - but, as ever, its your money........

The eastons are very nice to ride, and very much admired by others in my cycling group - which is equally nice :)
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

casper

by casper

Visions are made by FSA (parent company). My heavier weekend warrior buddies who have ridden Vision / FSA wheels are not impressed as the spokes break readily.

Easton's I've found are more durable and up a level in terms of build and quality. Easton entered into the wheel market when they acquired Velomax. about 7 years ago. I rode / raced / trained on several sets of Velomax / Easton wheels back in the day and found them to be a great product. Heavier friends have also done the same and found similar results. If Easton hasn't changed the recipe too much, they're your better bet.

But if you're looking for an absolute bomb proof set of training / racing wheels look at Fulcrum Zero's (Campy Shamal's).

addicted

by addicted

Thx. Will probably go with the EC90 Aero's.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

casper wrote:But if you're looking for an absolute bomb proof set of training / racing wheels look at Fulcrum Zero's (Campy Shamal's).

Oh well said - i have two pairs - they are brilliant wheels - for my money these are the best you can get before jumping to carbon, and arguably better than some of those.

but i think the OP wants aero - so the Easton EC90 SL's are a v good choice
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

addicted

by addicted

I had looked at the SL's, but I think I am leaning towards the deeper 'Aero' model. Slight weight penalty, about 100 - 150 grams I think, but quite a bit more aero, and I'm guessing a bit stronger.

stein

by stein

I agree the Fulcrums are brilliant. Have a set of Zero's, but last year i did a century on the lower model Racing 1. On a long but not to steep descent i rolled past a guy with a really expensive looking stealth black bike. He didn't seem to pleased beeing overtaken. Probably because his Obermayers cost more than my complete bike. The Zero's have better (ceramic) bearings, so they roll even better. And they are really stiff for climbing, and yet very comfortable. They are simply excellent!
Why does Shimano paint their groupsets the way they do? If i wanted fifty shades of grey - I'd buy the book.

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Stein nothing to do with body mass differentials rolling downhill then :)

sawyer

by sawyer

No it was the bearings!

I have Shamals in my quiver and have ridden Zeroes a few times ... they are very durable wheels with great hubs and braking surface, but are not in the same league as the best carbon tubulars.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

GASer

by GASer

I have both the Easton EC90 Aero and the Fulcrum Racing Zero. Eastons are more of a racing set while you can train on the Zeros. Eastons run smoothly for 2 years now but you need to check where you put your wheels on all the time, while you are careless riding the Zeros. I faced a faulty freehub at the beginning but Easton guys at the US send me a replacement part immediately at no cost.
Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com