replacement Ti bolt safe here?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Would replacing the clamp bolt with a Ti bolt be beneficial for the cost and would there be any concerns for durability? With it being a 1 bolt system, I wouldn't want to have any slipping. I have never replaced a bolt for Ti, so this may be a stupid question. Just wanting to make sure it will hold as good.

How do I know what the bolt/thread pattern is to get the right Ti replacement?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm sure it will be fine and I intend to do the same thing for my ritchey clamp. Titanium is strong. I had Ti hardware holding Brembo calipers on my track motorcycle without any resemblance of an issue.

OrPe

by OrPe

Look has a Ti bolt in their EPost design (Epost Ti).

Holds up to 22nM which is quite a bit.

you should be fine

Oren

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

any idea on how to find out the thread pattern? Is that what the 7x9.6mm is? dont bolts sizes come with a letter next to it?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Go to a hardware store. Bring the bolt.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Just measure bolt's diameter.
I would imagine that for the one bolt system it should be M6 minimum.

djm

by djm

Bianchi10 wrote:any idea on how to find out the thread pattern? Is that what the 7x9.6mm is? dont bolts sizes come with a letter next to it?

Find a bolt with the desired dimensions, then press the tread of each of the bolts against each other. If the treads aligns with each other and they can glide against each other in the tread, you have a match. That's the easy way of checking if it will fit :-)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Bianchi10 wrote:any idea on how to find out the thread pattern? Is that what the 7x9.6mm is? dont bolts sizes come with a letter next to it?

The 7x9.6 refers to the size of saddle rails the clamps will fit.

The size bolt you need is M6x55. The thread pitch is 1.0mm which means it's a commonly available standard thread for that size.

I'd advise you to buy it from a reputable source because as you say there's just one bolt holding everything together.
I bought mine from Pro-Bolt. They use aircraft grade Ti and supply motorbike race teams.

Use carbon paste where clamps and the seatpost engage. That definitely helps with slippage.

OrPe wrote:Look has a Ti bolt in their EPost design (Epost Ti).

you should be fine

The torque spec for the M6 Ti I bought was just over 11Nm. The clamps have 12Nm stamped on them so care must be taken. Is the EPost an M8?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

As above m6x55 - i have one for my ritchey superlogic seatpost it saved me 7 grams for just the bolt. The carbon rail clamp though adds weight over the stock round rails clamp.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

awesome, thank you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OrPe

by OrPe

5 8 5 wrote:
OrPe wrote:Look has a Ti bolt in their EPost design (Epost Ti).

you should be fine

The torque spec for the M6 Ti I bought was just over 11Nm. The clamps have 12Nm stamped on them so care must be taken. Is the EPost an M8?

I think it is an M8 (head is 6mm hex). i stand corrected for the max torque... missed that part.

Look's user manual defines to use 22nm. i opted for ~17 as it seems as secure and, for some reason, the recommended torque from the manual is registered as the Max torque on the EPost...

Oren
Attachments
torque.jpg