Canyon: Aeroad CF vs Ultimate CF SLX

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

triqD

by triqD

Thanks fdegrove. I'm actually now stuck between two Ultimates: the one with DA Di2 and the one with SR EPS. Never really thought about it before but that unsightly battery pack is rather annoying. The other thing is that the Di2 version ships 6 weeks sooner. and while I'm not that price sensitive given that I'm spending an arm and a leg either way, at £500 cheaper, the Di2 means I've got some extra cash to spend on another wheelset.

RE alu frames. Here's a video interview with a Katusha mechanic saying how the team are mostly using alu frames for Paris-Roubaix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGGwY1hgWRM

aerozy

by aerozy

I could be wrong but I think a lot of the pro's were riding the AL frame because they didnt like the long head tubes on the CF slx frames. Canyon probably made some custom made for each rider, well at least for Gilbert.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gordon

by gordon

Plenty of images on Google, look for the cable adjusters on the head tube and not the down tube.

http://blog.canyon.com/?m=201004&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

alexb618

by alexb618

personally i think the ultimate cf is too stiff in the front end

sawyer

by sawyer

gordon wrote:Plenty of images on Google, look for the cable adjusters on the head tube and not the down tube.

http://blog.canyon.com/?m=201004&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hadn't see that before. Well spotted!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

djm

by djm

How can a bike be too stiff in the "front end"?

Are you referring to only the frame or the bike as a whole?

I feel that the fork on my Ultimate gives a lot of damping.. and my bars are not the stiffest out there, however I'm very comfortable with the stiffness of the bike/frame, I've never felt the stiffness as a con.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

djm wrote:How can a bike be too stiff in the "front end"?

Are you referring to only the frame or the bike as a whole?

I feel that the fork on my Ultimate gives a lot of damping.. and my bars are not the stiffest out there, however I'm very comfortable with the stiffness of the bike/frame, I've never felt the stiffness as a con.

There have been comments that the forks, particularly with the oversize steerer, do not have enough 'give' in them for a comfortable ride and too much vibration is felt leading to a jarring ride when the roads get rough.

Personally, I can't say I've found that and I ride in the UK where it seems roads aren't complete without the obligatory potholes and bone-rattling surface. I guess if you had a stiff cockpit and slim bar tape too and rode without gloves then it could be more apparent.

sawyer

by sawyer

I'd say the Ultimate CF SLX has the harshest front end of any road bike I've ridden, by some margin. On smooth surfaces it's epic, but chatters across rough stuff.

Super stiff for climbing out of the saddle OTOH.

So ... use steel spoked wheels, and ideally tubs with at least a 23mm tyre.

hna

by hna

sawyer wrote:
gordon wrote:Our current rr world champ used to ride the AL, it was good enough for him.

When did Gilbert ride the AL? He rode the CF SLX then the Aeroad at Lotto

Classics period in 2010 at least. He won Amstel Gold Race on an Ultimate AL

ichobi

by ichobi

Considering the fact that
1. CF SLX is out out my budget most likely (waiting to see how the frame goes for)
2. The Aeroad is not really an aero road bike. It just have smaller front end and somewhat aero looking tube. In this regard, it could probably be classified as normal road bike just like the Ultimate CF/SLX. It even tests worse aerodynamically than the CF I believe.

Would you then recommend the Ultimate CF over the Aeroad or the other way round? The Ultimate CF seems to be a workhorse that receive universal praise. The Aeroad seems to do just fine, too. I prefer the look of Aeroad, but I haven't got chance to tried either of them since Canyon doesn't have showroom.

I ride generally on a rolling terrain, with really low and long hills. Most of the road is flat and I don't plan to climb anytime soon. I like to go low and like a not too harsh bike though am sure that can be fixed with nice tires and saddle.

I really dig Canyon, love the price, and will choose between these two ultimately.

sawyer

by sawyer

ichobi, to answer your question ...

The main thing to focus on is geometry and fit.

Assuming both can be made to fit you equally well ...

- CF will be stiffer and harsher at front end. Do you want this?

- Aesthetics - which do you prefer the look of?

- Internal cabling on Aeroad

- Proprietary seatpost on Aeroad - do you want this?

If they both fitted me I'd personally go for the Aeroad over the CF (like the cabling and overall look of it, pro pedigree FWIW)

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Gilbert won his first Lombardia on the custom AL as well. I was there, it was poetry in motion :thumbup:

I've had an Ultimate CF and now and Ultimate CF SLX. I like the Aeroad but the geometry was better for me on the Ultimate. I've never found the front end too harsh, but I ride either on tubs or tubeless at 90 psi w/ steel spokes on both so I'm sure that aids in comfort. I also always use a thin tape (Fizik) and like more feedback.

edit- I also ride had an Isaac Sonic that I rode w/ the same wheel combos and found that a slight bit harsher fwiw.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

- CF will be stiffer and harsher at front end. Do you want this?

Much less so for the 2013 model I have been told.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

sawyer

by sawyer

ultyguy wrote:I've had an Ultimate CF and now and Ultimate CF SLX. I like the Aeroad but the geometry was better for me on the Ultimate. I've never found the front end too harsh, but I ride either on tubs or tubeless at 90 psi w/ steel spokes on both so I'm sure that aids in comfort. I also always use a thin tape (Fizik) and like more feedback.

I much prefer the old (2012 and prior) geometry on the SLX/CF also. I like the steeper seatube and am happy to run a 130mm -17 stem and no spacers to get reasonably low at the front.

Front end can be sorted out as you say with teh right wheels and tyres/pressure. Then it's a beast.

Don't like the square downtube on the new model either ... had that with a 2010 TCR I had and hated it. Like pushing a fridge-freezer through the air.

Wish they'd kept the geo and rounded tubes!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

I would like to use this topic to ask the following:

I am 99% certain that I want to buy the Ultimate CF SLX 7.0 Di2 for €3399, but when looking at the Aeroads there is the Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2 for €3299 which is €100 cheaper (I can use that to buy pedals).

What's your opinion? CF SLX or Aeroad? (I guess my preferred bike, as I have many hilly roads here, would be the CF SLX Di2, but I want to be sure I make the right choice.