USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

artray

by artray

horse wrote "There is such hoo-hah about PEDs"

You tell that to familys of the numerous Body builders and athletes who have died from the long term effects of steroids. Some PED's can leave you with health issues all your life . I think it's better to know what you are talking about before you make such a generalization .

Hammertime 2 :thumbup:

horse

by horse

artray wrote:horse wrote "There is such hoo-hah about PEDs"

You tell that to familys of the numerous Body builders and athletes who have died from the long term effects of steroids. Some PED's can leave you with health issues all your life . I think it's better to know what you are talking about before you make such a generalization .

Hammertime 2 :thumbup:

So you're worried about peoples' health are you?
I see. :roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Not exactly a great shock, but SCA Promotions is demanding Armstrong pay (return to) them USD12 million http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-3 ... llion.html .

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

He'll do that when he gets new sponsorship next year. Apparently the sales and marketing folks notoriously have a short memory.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

sawyer

by sawyer

Trot along, trot along, trot along Josie ... trot along, trot along ... oh, sorry, this isn't rhyme time?

LOL horse ... you've made me side with artray :beerchug: ... sport has to have rules horse. Without rules the concept of sport is meaningless. Fine for you to be in favour of a "who dares wins" free for all, but that doesn't make breaking the rules to win ok.

I don't get the "thinking with your balls" comment (other than it sounding cool!) ... in dark corners of the internet, yes, but on WWs?? :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Sawyer, i think you should have a sockpuppetry award as well.

i nominate horse, rick, 53x12 and jwolf

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A bit of silliness but ouch....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/cy ... y/1671535/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Even better the South Park episode just aired poking fun at Livestrong et al. So many of Armstrong's quotes and mannerisms used in it. It was very well done.

KH1

by KH1

SpoonMan wrote:Sorry for the confusion KH1 - the "I'm out" was in reference to Rabobank, not myself. I have nowhere in particular to go, nor am I special enough to use such a knob phrase in reference to myself.
I like having intelligent conversations with people on these topics. I hate that we get the opportunity to discuss real life events.

No need to apologise :)
I don't mind a bit of reasoned debate either.
Whilst I agree that there is a risk of misuse of the funds provided by sponsors. That was not the proposition I was putting forward - which began to get lost over the course of some meaningless input and wildly irrelevant posting by a serial offender on this forum. It took some effort to try and keep it on track but by the time you decided to chime in I'm afraid the goose was well and truly honking.....

The basic proposition for both of my original points was that if you ask people to perform feats of virtual impossibility you will run the risk of them looking for ways to acheive them outside of the rules. The more difficult the event the more likely that contestants will try to cut corners to win and in the case of a grand tour be there at the end to support the overall contender. In fact it is my proposition that the grand tours actually encourage doping the most simply because they are the hardest to even finish. Now how much that affects directly or indirectly the use of drugs in shorter races is open for further and seperate discussion.
I don't think we need to go over the funding question again. The only thing I will say on misuse of the funds is that it probably happens sometimes with the knowledge of the sponsors and sometimes without. That doesn't take away anything from the proposition of the original point. Riders who are funded can train more and should therefore need less 'illegal enhancement'

:beerchug:
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

KH1 wrote:
I don't mind a bit of reasoned debate either.
Whilst I agree that there is a risk of misuse of the funds provided by sponsors. That was not the proposition I was putting forward - which began to get lost over the course of some meaningless input and wildly irrelevant posting by a serial offender on this forum. It took some effort to try and keep it on track but by the time you decided to chime in I'm afraid the goose was well and truly honking.....

How am I a serial offender? Is it because I disagreed with what you think is the real reason pro cyclists dope? Or is it because I come off as some wanker on here that blurts out the first thing that pops into his head? You probably think the latter and that's fine. :lol:

I simply said that maybe some one else can help you understand my point that's because my response was well though out as is supported by this forum and has been stated in various documentaries by pro cyclists that actually live and breath the sport. Unfortunately you fail to understand simple well though out sentences.

Frankly speaking your idea that pro cyclists dope because the race or event is too hard is utter BS.
That is my point and I have supplied you with factual statements of why I think what you said was BS in my view.

Since you are explicitly singling me out on this forums as a "serial offender" I'd like to know why.
Why am I a "serial offender"? Let's hear it.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

artray

by artray

KH1 , Athletes dope to win a 100m race. They dope to win . Track cyclists dope,there not riding up and down mountains all day . I think you do have some kind of point i.e in the old days with riders drinking and speeding, but in those days the riders would be riding into the night . Its where the doping culture started . It's way more sophisticated these days and you don't need to dope to complete a grand tour . There have been many charity riders who have rode every stage . Doping gives you an edge just that little bit more so that you can try and win and not just compete at the highest level . All sports encourage doping if a certain athlete has set his or her mind on victory and all the money and prestige that comes with it and it keeps the sponsors happy who pay most of the bills
I also would like to join stella-azzurra and declare myself a serial killer ,eeerrrrrrrrrr I mean serial poster with kellogs common sense . :thumbup:

horse

by horse

sawyer wrote:Trot along, trot along, trot along Josie ... trot along, trot along ... oh, sorry, this isn't rhyme time?

LOL horse ... you've made me side with artray :beerchug: ... sport has to have rules horse. Without rules the concept of sport is meaningless. Fine for you to be in favour of a "who dares wins" free for all, but that doesn't make breaking the rules to win ok.

I don't get the "thinking with your balls" comment (other than it sounding cool!) ... in dark corners of the internet, yes, but on WWs?? :wink:

Tut, tut.. you misunderstand.
The rules' in the wrong place. Not particularly condoning "free for all." I would have thought it implicit in my post.
You see it's not so simple as that.

One further point. People condemn "doping" but actually know almost nothing about the precise processes involved, quantities and what the desired outcomes of the procedures are, so forth. With due respect to everyone on this thread, the "cheating" most would recognize would be catching a lift, or perhaps observational aid at best. The medical tests which rely on biochemistry are done in laboratory and ongoing studies often-at-times open questions.

The whole drama with this case seen in the media and not least the internets has been savage. It's been a source of much excitement for some people. But as a cyclist you'd be doing well if you can remotely achieve anything beyond the sport. Forget biochemical analysis of another's performance.

My advice to some people on this thread is to stop posting. Yes I'm looking at you Artray.

artray

by artray

horse wrote "There is such hoo-hah about PEDs" Your exact words

I used to be a body builder when I was younger . I have seen the effects that some PEDS can have and it can be pretty bad. You being so casual with the comment above shows you have no idea how much damage some peds can do . I have seen the damage they can do .I have that experience . It's something that was real and not from reading a book.

horse wrote
" So you're worried about peoples' health are you?
I see. "
Thats just an :oops: comment to make.

I have made my point move on . giddy up :thumbup:

horse

by horse

What you're talking about is substance abuse.

By PEDs you're not expecting the cyclist to down an entire bottle of pills. Maybe you did.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/armstro ... ng-experts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The case is certainly unique in its scale but it's not a reason not to apply or even ignore the (anti-doping) rules, as we've seen
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.