American Classic Race 29 rims vs. Crest 29

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matti

by Matti

I have a pair of Crest 29 rims, and not happy at all as it is way too tight to get the tire mounted. Can't even imagine repairing a puncture on the trail on these rims (actually the front one is better than the rear, there is a difference between the two).

Does anyone have experience in the AMC race 29 rim? Stiffness? Easier to mount the tire than on the Crest?

Matti

by Matti

Anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Have you tried different tyres? Just in case, not to toss out the baby with the bathwater ...

msl1985

by msl1985

I have a pair of crest rims. I don't have the problem you are talking about. I can put my tires on by hand (Maxxis Beaver). I think it's your tires.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

With every tire I have used, road and mountain, they are tough at first, but stretch significantly after just a few days inflated on the rim. Stan's rims are slightly more difficult than most, but I have been able to remove Michelins, Conti's, WTB's, and Maxxis tires by hand once they have a few miles on them.
No reason to worry, just give it a few rides.

Matti

by Matti

I really don't have a problem with the front rim, Racing Ralph comes off and goes on by hand. The rear rim is a whole different story. Having popped on e.g. a Race King after struggling for a good 15 minutes, there is absolutely no chance to get it off by hand.

Does anyone have any experience with the American Classic Race?

Ottoturbo

by Ottoturbo

Crest. I have seen some dented AC rims.

Werdna

by Werdna

Ha! I was thinking the opposite. I have seen dozens of trashed Crest rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matti

by Matti

Just to make sure I'm not loosing my mind here, i tried to swap tires both font and back once more. Front no problem again, whereas rear absolutely impossible. After struggling with a number of different tires, I was able to put on a racing ralph. Conclusion is I do not want to run rims where the rim chooses what tires I can use.

So back to my main question, with the risk of repeating myself; does anyone know whether it is easier to put tires on the american classic? Would be grateful if someone could share their experience.

Thanks,
Matti