KCNC Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Other than the CB7 and CB6 offering 20% better braking than the CB1's (I think I read that correctly?)...what are the differences in the brakesets in terms of weight savings, aluminum processing, etc.?

Thanks.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

NGMN wrote:check out this:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... 104&t=7582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is gold, thanks!

Eli

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Just ordered a second set of C7's great brakes for the weight and plenty strong

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

My C7 brakes work well, but the finishing is disappointing. Off the bike, when you squeeze the calipers, you can feel mild metal-on-metal grinding between the arms. I'll probably disassemble them at some point and try to remedy that.

artray

by artray

I used to have some CB1's . They don't really stop you that well. After trying lots of brake pads I found these Gooey brake pads . There quite sticky and really made a big difference. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gooey-Cartrid ... 19c0bcff9b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do wear quite quick in the rain, so just keep an eye on the wear .

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I think the C7s are braking ok for their weight, but you need matching rims and pads, as there's not really a lot of "error margin". The feeling of flex in the calipers when going into a switchback hard is something to get used to. A lowlight for me, after riding them all season, is that they tend to seize up because of the bushings (instead of bearings), so the calipers don't open back up completely themselves. They do if you pull them open by hand.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Yes the seizing is an issue, especially after a stage in the rain. Sometimes a little lube will help, but I need to disassemble and clean up the rough edges on mine every so often.'

As for braking power they are virtually on par with the best IF you use brand new pads (DA on alloy or Reynolds blue on carbon) or very wide rims (eg: Firecrest). They have extra leverage when the calipers are spread further apart.

Cheers

GJ

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

A follow-up question:

What other brakes (in either black or gold, preferably) outperform the C6 in the ~$150-$200 price range? Think less maintenance = better.

Eli

NGMN

by NGMN

I'm a pretty big proponent of the TRP 920, they tend to run around 255 grams(I received the heaviest pair I've ever seen at 262, most run 250-255), come with nice pads(swisstop or koolstop), have great power and modulation and mine were a pinch to install and I haven't "maintained" them in about 2 years. Set and forget. Kinda heavy by WW standards but lighter than anything from the big 3.

Can be had for $100 usually.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Planet - X sit in that range. Maybe it's time for a C8!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I would put the TRP 920's in the same stopping power as the Plane-X/Featherlite CNC, both excellent.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

artray

by artray

Im riding Planet x brakes . They stop much better than the KCNC brakes . Theres a bit of a weight gain but you gain quite a few extra yards in stopping power .

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

FilmAt11 wrote:My C7 brakes work well, but the finishing is disappointing. Off the bike, when you squeeze the calipers, you can feel mild metal-on-metal grinding between the arms. I'll probably disassemble them at some point and try to remedy that.

old thread revival...

Any luck with resolving the metal-on-metal grinding/stiff feeling? I have tried to bend the tension springs a bit to reduce the force required to pull the brake lever and seem to have had some success there. However the metal grinding is present and really kills the feel of the brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I disassembled them and chamfered the facing edges with a file. It smoothed out the action IIRC.