FLO 30: New wide clincher wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

olebole

by olebole

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I wonder how similar these are to the Zipp 101's. From the published weight I suspect the rim will be over 500g though, there's no way 44 CX-Ray spokes, brass nipples and reasonable weight hubs will build a sub 500g rim to 1600g... FWIW wheelbuilder has the 101 rim weight at 530g so I'll be interested to see how these compare if someone manages to get a weight for these rims.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Heavy but I like what I'm seeing!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Cool. I really like the shape of that Flo 30.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

Classic luck for me. I have been going back and forth for months if I should get a custom set of wheelbuilder 101 wheels or just get some kinlin XC279s built. Now the Zipp 101 copy is finally released the week after I buy mine.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

The Flo 30 shape is very different from the Zipp 101... particularly where the spokes insert. Flo is very round while the Zipp 101 is more pointy. It's hard to get a very rounded shape to not dimple without making the sidewalls beefy... that might be why the 101 is shaped that way.

The Zipp 101 tested poorly for aero in Tour's test compared to a 24mm tall Corima tubular that was very rounded. An inherent advantage of tubulars is that the tire width doesn't change on a wide rim... clinchers will always bulge out a bit.

formerly rruff...

NGMN

by NGMN

Rruff, I've been pondering an idea lately that the key to maintaining aero clincher performance(from the tire standpoint) seems to be a wide rim width outside to outside, without a wide inside to inside width. So something on the order of 15mm width and 23-24mm outer width. You don't get the purported ride quality benefits of a wide rim but your tire maintains a more aero profile(pointy) and better matches the rim sidewalls in width. Another con is you also gain weight with thicker side walls(but this may be happening with carbon clinchers anyways).

It seems like Zipp may be going this route a little bit, as they seem to have stuck with a bead width of 16mm on their firecrest line. Whereas Hed has gone up to 18.2mm on their new Vanquish line.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Anyone able to have a guess at the rim weight?

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

mrfish

by mrfish

Guess? surely it should be possible to calculate the area compared to the zipp's section and scale the weight. Just from looking at the sections I'd guess 10 to 15% more material than the Zipps, which would give 580g to 610g (rounded). Someone with a CAD program could do an exact calculation.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'm going to have to go carbon if I want decent Aerodynamics at under 500g aren't I ? :cry: The best rim I can think of (for aero and light alloy) is the BHS C472w (kinlin XC279) :noidea:

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

verycreativeusername wrote:Anyone able to have a guess at the rim weight?

If Flo's specs are correct, the rims weigh ~530g.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

verycreativeusername wrote:I'm going to have to go carbon if I want decent Aerodynamics at under 500g aren't I ? :cry: The best rim I can think of (for aero and light alloy) is the BHS C472w (kinlin XC279) :noidea:

Yep... but I hear rumors of a lighter rim with a similar profile being available soon.
formerly rruff...

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Flo looks to be committed to clinchers. What's out there, if anything, in a similar medium profile in a tubular? I would think there would be significant weight advantages -- plus you avoid the whole carbon clincher heat concerns (edited -- I missed that the Flo is an alloy rim).

Anyone have experience with http://www.yoeleo.com/best-23mm-rim-700c-38mm-carbon-tubular.html ? wider rim, but not sure of the profile....

The Bontrager D3 looks neat in the 38mm height, but all their tubulars come w/DT 180 internals. From what I've read they are not as reliable as the 240 config. And they are only available as a wheelset, not rims.

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

teleguy57 wrote:Flo looks to be committed to clinchers. What's out there, if anything, in a similar medium profile in a tubular? I would think there would be significant weight advantages -- plus you avoid the whole carbon clincher heat concerns (edited -- I missed that the Flo is an alloy rim).

Anyone have experience with http://www.yoeleo.com/best-23mm-rim-700c-38mm-carbon-tubular.html ? wider rim, but not sure of the profile....

The Bontrager D3 looks neat in the 38mm height, but all their tubulars come w/DT 180 internals. From what I've read they are not as reliable as the 240 config. And they are only available as a wheelset, not rims.

The Corima Winium + tubulars tested extremely well in the wind tunnel. Was more aero than the 101 and a lot of deeper wheels. Weight is 1150g for the set. http://www.corima.com/wheels/winium-plu ... wheel.html

they are 22.6 wide and 24 deep

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teleguy57

by teleguy57

NWSAlpine wrote:The Corima Winium + tubulars tested extremely well in the wind tunnel. Was more aero than the 101 and a lot of deeper wheels. Weight is 1150g for the set. http://www.corima.com/wheels/winium-plu ... wheel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they are 22.6 wide and 24 deep

Winiums look good for a carbon rim. I wonder about an alloy tubular in the Flo shape. Looks like the closest right now is the Hed C2, which is hard to find as a bare rim. Anything else in alloy tubular at the 23 wide range?

Got the profiles for the 23mm wide Yoleo 38mm and 50mm carbon tubulars;[url]the 50 is the exact same graphic as that on the Focus Carbon site http://www.focus-carbon.com/ProductShow.asp?id=559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/url]; it's probably the same as the Farsports as well although they don't have a cross section graphic. I don't see anyone else (yet) with a 23x38 rimm.

Also looks like none of the 23mm wide carbon rims come with basalt brake tracks.