Engage Gavial Brakes - reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I see these are in some shops. So has anyone got a pair yet they can give us the run down on?

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

I found a review that said there were some early spring position problems. Since they use a flat spring like the AX perseus, this should be very easy to remedy.

They look great. A light set of pads and holders and they would be a competitive option at the pricepoint. I also am curious as to how closely they are tied in with AX Lightness. I always drool over AX designs so I dig these brakes.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I also am curious as to how closely they are tied in with AX Lightness.

Designed by AX, manufactured in Asia.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

ElDuderino

by ElDuderino

want.

I wonder if these would be an upgrade in stopping power vs the 1st gen kcnc brakes? Not thrilled about the finish, though.

artray

by artray

I agree . The paint looks very heavy and the white stripe is awful .They look a bit cheap .
I don't know why they did not just keep the nude carbon look of the other ax brakes. Both bolts should be black . It looks like someone has replaced one of the bolts .

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Just speculating, but perhaps the nude carbon of these (Engage) brakes would not look as good as the nude carbon on the AX Lightness branded brakes. And unlike AX Lightness branded brakes, low production cost is of the essence for Engage products.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I guess you could always spend a few hours stripping them down yourself! But that would be pretty pain staking actually! I wish we had an updated Fairwheel shoot out for comparison.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I bought the set that was advertised here. As soon as I get them I plan on removing the gloss and the white stripe. Don't care what's underneath, can always paint them matte black if the carbon is really bad, but I doubt that will be the case.
I'll report back next month.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

dereksmalls wrote:I wish we had an updated Fairwheel shoot out for comparison.

^^^^ This.

UpFromOne wrote:I'll report back next month.

Could you also post up some photos? Most 'around the net' are the marketing photos from AX Lightness or low res, low quality home shots.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

mrfish

by mrfish

Remind me of Campag monoplanar calipers. Let's hope they brake better than those. I expect they will be fine for dry weather use or all round on aluminium rims, but for 15% downhills in the wet on carbon rims probably not the right solution.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

UpFromOne wrote:I bought the set that was advertised here. As soon as I get them I plan on removing the gloss and the white stripe. Don't care what's underneath, can always paint them matte black if the carbon is really bad, but I doubt that will be the case.
I'll report back next month.

Please make sure you do before tuning weights and after tuning weights + photos. Did you get the pad holders to go with them?

liketoride

by liketoride

any word yet on how you liked the brakes? I was wondering if you could have a pick on how much it comes in at with the pads and the pad holders too?

liketoride

by liketoride

anything on this yet?

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I was wondering if you could have a pick on how much it comes in at with the pads and the pad holders too?

A set of 4 pad holders + pads should be around 55g unless the pads are Corima cork ones.

One of the german websites that sell these brakes states that these Gavial brakes accept both Shimano/Sram style padholders as well as Campagnolo. The regular Engage pad holder are Shimano standard so these should be fine but how about Campa?
I'd like to see that confirmed if possible.

While I'm at it, one of the dealers weighed a set so here's the breakdown:

•FR: 70 Gramm
•RR: 51 Gramm
•Cable holder: 10 Gramm
•Total: 131 Gramm

Ciao, ;)

EDIT: found a possible solution to my problem: apparently the Tune carbon pad holders take all pads, weigh 45g four a complete set but cost an arm and a leg.... Can't have it all, I guess.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What accounts for the large disparity between front and rear weights?