Weight - Selle SMP cover, padding?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AndrewL

by AndrewL

Hi, I have read that at least one of you out there has removed the cover and padding from your Selle SMP saddles. I own both a TRK and an Evolution and am considering doing the same.

For those of you that have done this has it affected the comfort level positively or negatively? Also, how does it look afterward? Lastly, and most importantly, how much weight did you cut from the saddle?

I hope no one minds, but I have double-posted this in the mountain forum since I'm not sure how much crossover there is between the two.
Andrew "Jersey" L

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AGW

by AGW

I've seen a few (2?) stripped SMPs here as well. I also have an Evo after doing a lot of reading. The Composit uses the exact same shell with no padding; just a leather top, so it's basically a factory stripped Evo. Claimed weight is 200g. I've heard that it's more comfortable in some ways because it eliminates the uneven rear padding that the Evo has and gives you a more continuous "dip" to sit in/on, but the mega-stiff construction takes some getting used to.

Here's a factory spec sheet that compares all of the saddles: http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/downloads/SMP-Saddles-Specs.pdf

Also, in this thread, Murphs uses a stripped Composit on his Canyon. He's probably your best bet for an opinion.

swinter

by swinter

you don't need the padding. it's the shape that makes it comfortable.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

AndrewL

by AndrewL

Thank you for the replies. So I guess we can presume that the Evo has 30g of padding. Perhaps the cover weighs another 20g or so, so that would be a total savings of about 50g. I'm tempted to strip it but that'll kill the resale value. :roll:

The TRK on the other hand has a ton of padding so it could probably lose at least 80g which would bring it down to the weight of the Pro.
Andrew "Jersey" L

swinter

by swinter

I'm now running the SMP Carbon Color, with steel rails, after destroying the carbon rails on the Full Carbon.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

darth

by darth

Hey AndrewL,

Have a look at this (if you've not seen it) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=108515 I too found the cover & padding way too heavy! :-) The yellow foam I now have on there is the stuff scaffolders have to put around the pavement level uprights! Surprisingly comfortable and very light!

darth.