artrays Rebuilt stealth Trek 5900 super light

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dcj9

by dcj9

:thumbup: great project. i'm amazed the paint removal only took 3 hours.

mine took 3 weeks and was exhausting work, hand-sanding wearing a mask [and it wasn't even halloween ] :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

Thanks dcj9 . I did purchase some Carbo lift to use but I started with the knife just to get the thicker parts of the paint off where they had 2 or 3 coats of layered paint and it just seemed to be coming off quite easy in nice long strips so I just kept going it . To get the tricky bits I used a bit of wet and dry. I would say when using the knife technique, get some thickish gloves it does make your hands sore. My friend plans to do the same to his Viner bike so it will be interesting to see if the paint comes of as easy. :beerchug:

I have just seen your bike . It was your posting dcj9 that made me drag my 5900 back to life . :beerchug:

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I'm with you Artray on the saddle-bar drop. Some of just like it, it's more comfy than being on an ape-hanger.

Ride what you like riding and don't listen to the internet 'your bike doesn't look like it fits' brigade.

artray

by artray

Cheers Carpetfibre .I did have a crushed vertebrae . I do a lot lot of chinups/pullups using a hanging bar .I find the stretch very comfy and my back issues have gone away. It was a long time ago when I first started slamming my stem, It made a big improvment in my riding and straight away it became a lot easier when pushing a harder gear. I also noticed when I climb out of my seat [which I do a lot] Im a lot straighter not hunched up and longer rides became a lot easier. Im not wasting so much energy as it feels like all the power is going in the bike if you get my meaning. It's not ideal for all but it works for me . :beerchug:

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Are you going to strip the fork to match?

horse

by horse

Ugghh.. what a monstrosity.

:noidea:

Nuff said, moving on.

artray

by artray

Geoff ,that was my intention . I changed my mind when they arrived in the post. If they get a mark or scratch then I will get them down to the matte carbon like the rest of my bike or I might just do it anyway at some point. They weigh 230grms , so the little bit of clear just a few grms is not a deal breaker to strip them. :beerchug:

artray

by artray

horse wrote:Ugghh.. what a monstrosity.

:noidea:

Nuff said, moving on.

why say anything ? :mrgreen:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

artray

by artray

Hey majklnajt , I have seen this one before . very nice . Seeing this Bike and dcj9 's bike as well made me strip the old Trek down . Both there bikes are a lot more black than mine . I love CarpetFibre's trek . Have you seen it? Just beautiful . viewtopic.php?f=10&t=106163&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :beerchug:

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Yes, I`ve seen ti. All such nice components, materials, etc. But I struglle to like its proportions & setup.
I also like your bike, but struglle to like the setup too. :noidea:

artray

by artray

Hey majklnajt,its really comfy for me. Thats one of the things I like looking at . Seeing how people set there bike up . If Im more upright I just cannot get as much power through the bike. Thanks for your comments :thumbup:

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice work! I data mined your description for all "grms" references and they sum up to 3372. I didn't check what you're missing but it seems it's going to come out to a very impressive number. It's great seeing old frames get appreciated: cuts through the marketing BS.

artray

by artray

Thanks for that djconnel. It does seem pretty light , lighter than I thought . Under 13lbs was my first aim . I think I've made it . I will check when I get down my LBS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NexusKaiser

by NexusKaiser

Awesome! That's a really high seatpost with respect to your bars! Can't imagine riding that but I'm sure you'll cut through wind easy :thumbup: