Butyl tubes with 80 mm valve

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Juggler

by Juggler

Hi there

Looking for a lighter alternative to the 100+ gram butyl tubes I am using now.

I run 65 mm carbon clinchers, and I really don't wanna bother with valve extensions. So it has to be tubes with 80 mm valve.

Any recommendations? As light as possible. Haven't been able to find latex with 80 mm valve, so I suppose it has to be butyl.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

What about using a shorter stem latex tube with removable core and use an extender on that? That way you achieve the same thing, but not the hassle of the traditional extenders...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

yeaitsdave

by yeaitsdave

Bontrager does an RXL tube in an 80mm stem, RXXXL in 60 (so you could use a short crack pipe tip), and RXXXL latex in 51.

Dunno posted weights, but RXL is .6mm and XXX is .45.

Juggler

by Juggler

audiojan wrote:What about using a shorter stem latex tube with removable core and use an extender on that? That way you achieve the same thing, but not the hassle of the traditional extenders...

Traditional extender = simple metal/alloy tube with no o-ring in it, which means you can't use a regular pump to measure PSI when inflating?

I used them once, and they didn't really work for me. I suppose I should have used some of that thin white tape-kind-of-thing, that the plummer uses, to avoid air running out during inflation. Right?

I also tried some of Topeak's. Yes, they had the o-ring, but they f***** with me on a half ironman, where my fingers were so cold, I couldn't loosen the valve during a flat. Had to throw away the tube AND the extension, and use the extension from the frontwheel. On top of that the first co2 cylinder malfunctioned on me. Cost me 15 minutes... :)

Who makes an extender, that doesn't do anything but prolong the valve? Is it something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tufo-valve-extension/

Omiar

by Omiar

Schwalbe Extralight Tube SV20 - listed weight 65grams
I can measure the one with 80mm valve in a few days.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Juggler

by Juggler

Cool... that would be great.

metal

by metal

Continental makes a Race 28 Light tube with a 80mm valve. Weight is probably up around 80-100g though. Wish they did a supersonic in 80mm.
Last edited by metal on Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Juggler

by Juggler

metal wrote:Continental makes a Race 28 tube with a 80mm valve. Weight is probably up around 80-100g though. Wish they did a supersonic in 80mm.

Exactly my thought...

With 80-100 gram I might as well stick with the CST (probably some China brand) tubes I have, that weigh in at around 100 grams.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Juggler wrote:Who makes an extender, that doesn't do anything but prolong the valve? Is it something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tufo-valve-extension/

Yes, those work perfectly well. I use them with Continental Supersonic as well as Vredestein latex tubes.

Juggler

by Juggler

Cool...

I have found some "BBB" though... they are black, and a little longer (50 mm). The 28 mm Tufo can cause some problems, if I all of a sudden end up with a tube that has a 42 mm valve. Best to be on the safe side... :)

yeagermeister

by yeagermeister

Giant makes a lightweight 80mm butyl tube, it's not latex but it beats the hassle of extenders

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

You can use the Vredestein in 80 mm butyl (they have removable valve cores) or go with some Vredestein Latex in 60 mm, take out the valve core and use the proper extenders and re-instal the core on the extender.

Juggler

by Juggler

jmartpr wrote:You can use the Vredestein in 80 mm butyl (they have removable valve cores) or go with some Vredestein Latex in 60 mm, take out the valve core and use the proper extenders and re-instal the core on the extender.

Since I run 65 mm rims, it doesn't really matter with removable core on 80 mm valves. I might end up with the extenders that requires removable core. Then I can try different brands of tubes (butyl/latex) and not having to take the valve length into consideration.

Thanks for the inputs.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Maxxis MVS tubes, plus their own valves. The entire stem is aluminum. Removable core, valve stems available in many lengths, all the way up to 110mm.

Omiar

by Omiar

Omiar wrote:Schwalbe Extralight Tube SV20 - listed weight 65grams
I can measure the one with 80mm valve in a few days.

Weighted today: 77g
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com