Can't decide what wheels to get.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Strekoza

by Strekoza

Hi all,
I decided it's time for me to upgrade my wheel set. Currently I am running my stock Shimano R500 and am looking to spend around $1000-1500.
I really love the quality and design of Zipp wheels and have been considering the 2013 Zipp 101's. Also, I can have get a great deal on them. If anyone uses these please give me some feedback on how you liking them. Please suggest according to the following factors:
I am 6'3 and <140 LBs
This wheel set will be used for training and doing 100 mile rides such as Gran Fondo-New York.
I am not seriously into racing but am looking into it.
I need something that is good for climbing.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

If you can get the 101s for a good deal, go for it. If you were paying MSRP though, I would say that there are better options out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Strekoza

by Strekoza

But do you think I will see an improvement overall compared to my stock wheels? Because from what I am reading everyone is saying that they are good for training wheels and nothing more. I can also try to find a good deal on 404s or 303s from last year on closeout if they are that much better.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Fulcrum Racing Speed, Campa Bora One, Mavic Cosmic SLR and Zipp 303 would all be decent choices. In case you're able to get a deal.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

The 101s may accelerate slightly more responsively than the Shimanos, but it probably won't be a huge difference. All in all I think it really depends on what type of discount your talking here. If its cost, or below, then go for the 101s, or the 404s. If its only 5 or 10 percent though, then don't waste your money.

Strekoza

by Strekoza

It's actually closer to 25%. As for the 404's I seen these http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/pr ... 404set.htm probably the best deal I seen. But they are from 2011 and not Firecrest so not sure if that is what I need.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I think in that price range you would be better off with a nice alloy clincher. The Zipps would be decently aero, but that drive side flange undergoes a bit of stress due to the radial lacing.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

Campy Shamals or Eurus. Done!

dmp

by dmp

Clinchers or tubulars?
The Fulcrum Racing Zero's are on sale at Probikekit for about $1000.
What about hand-builts? I just had a set made (new Stan's Alpha 340 rims, Alchemy hubs, c-xray spokes) for about that price and they weigh 200g less than the Fulcrums (1270g, if I remember correctly, including rim tape)

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

I have a set of Mavic Cosmic Cosmic carbone SLR fs in that price range... Great wheels but quite heavy on paper. They don't ride like 1700 grams wheels however, more like 1400-1500. Anyways, they roll beautifully once you get them up to speed, but if you soul focus for the new wheels is climbing, I would agree with the handbuilt ideas. They don't quite have the sex appeal, but work well, are inexpensive, and light!

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

At your weight you would be fine on the Zipp 101s. The hubs are not the best though and the 101 and heavy riders is not the best combo. Have you considered a nice set of Boyd Vitesse or custom wheels built on the same Kinlin XC279 (BHS C472w) rim. It's a nice 23mm wide and 28mm deep rim. Almost as aero as the Zipp 101 but you can build a much nicer wheel using some nice hubs. You could go with the new Alchemy hubs and be in the same price range.

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

NWSAlpine wrote:custom wheels built on the same Kinlin XC279 (BHS C472w) rim. It's a nice 23mm wide and 28mm deep rim. Almost as aero as the Zipp 101 but you can build a much nicer wheel using some nice hubs. You could go with the new Alchemy hubs and be in the same price range.

Agreed. The new Alchemys look pretty sweet all though they're still a bit of a wait at this point. I'm stoked to see the new aero ELF! Good call on the XC279 though. That is a solid rim.

jdp211

by jdp211

My vote goes to hand built. Chris king or DT to Hed/velocity wide rims

pastronef

by pastronef

just curious, what frame and group you have?

NGMN

by NGMN

NWS Alpine, do you have data on the wide Kinlin rim? I'd be very curious to see it.

Edit: By data, I mean aerodynamic data.
Last edited by NGMN on Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com