Campagnolo 10 speed shifters on 11 speed derailleurs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

I wanted to pose a mechanic question to you all. I've got Campagnolo Record/Chorus 10 speed group. I love it and don't really want to switch over to 11 mainly because I prefer the 10speed shifters more than the 11. Now an issue will soon be coming where the 10 speed is going to continue to be phased out and I'll frankly be forced to switch to 11.

Now, I ran across this website where it looks like someone customized Campy 10 speed components to accept an 11 and 12 speed cassette and, supposably, able to shift. I don't know how hard it is to rebuild shifters or anything, but it looks fairly simple to change shifting capabilities of these shifters to then allow one to use 10speed shifters with the new 11 speed components.

http://www.campafreak.com/shifting_technology/Campy_11_speed/page27.html

Wondering what anyone would think and the feasibility of this and how dumb would it be?

Please use search, it took me 30s to find this

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87316

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=10+s ... 66&bih=667

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

The new shape is better, you'll get used to it. I'd say accepting that would be the way to go.

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

Moderator: That didn't answer my question, looking at my link, you can adjust the rotor in the 10speed shifter to actually go to 11.

As a side note, writing this, I all I can think about is Spinal Tap... "But this one goes to 11!"

I'm trying to see if the following is possible, I'm sure Campy would say "No", but according to that link, it does work and I'm trying to see if anyone has tried it.

-10speed Campagnolo shifters (modified rotor)
-11speed front and rear mech
-11speed chain
-11speed cassette

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I would say it's fine. I'm using Centaur speed shifters, crankset and 10 speed Recon cassette with an 11 speed Record rear derailleur, soon to be an 11 spd front derailleur (currently 10 spd Centaur) with a 10 spd gold KMC chain. The one adjustment I made after reading on the campyonly forums was change the 11 teeth jockey wheels for 10 teeth jockey wheels. Works perfectly!

So your proposal to use converted 10 speed shifters and everything else 11 would be fine. I've heard other people say it works too just by swapping the shifter internals.

idler

by idler

Be careful about 11 spd front derailleurs - they are narrower than 10 spd and need a bit more trimming to avoid chain rub.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

idler wrote:Be careful about 11 spd front derailleurs - they are narrower than 10 spd and need a bit more trimming to avoid chain rub.

Hmm, good point. I do find it a tad narrow on my cx bike with 10 speed everything other than the FD.

Do you think an 11 speed chain would work ok with 10 speed cassette and chainrings then?

Miller

by Miller

dereksmalls wrote:Do you think an 11 speed chain would work ok with 10 speed cassette and chainrings then?

The Campag 11sp chain works very well in a Campag 10sp drivetrain, no issues that I've detected.

1spd

by 1spd

I too have a 10 spd Record set up that I am quite happy with and don't really have the need to go to 11 spd at this point. However the prior owner of my bike liked the newer V3 levers and swapped out the Record ones for a set of Centaur 10 spd's. At least they have the carbon blades but the downside is that they don't have the same functionality as the Records. You can't ratchet thru all the gears as you would with the Records or Chorus. But they are more comfortable and since I'm not racing it really hasn't been that big of an issue thus far other than the fact that they do weigh more.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

Rumsas

by Rumsas

I have been riding a season with :

centaur 10 speed shifters
centaur 10 speed cassette
Record 10 speed chain
Super record front and rear derailleurs

No problems at all, and no need to adjust anything in the shifters.
It just worked perfect.
Hope that helped

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

But has anyone used 11v cassettes and derailleurs and modulated the 10v shifters to utilize all 11 gears?

DaveS

by DaveS

Not sure what you mean by "modulate". 10 speed shifters can only make 9 shifts, and could never shift through all 11 cogs without internal modification. I've swapped the indexing disc from 2009+ 11 speed shifters and put it into a 2009 10 speed ultrashift lever, but Campy no longer sells that part individually. Also, only '09-'10 model 10 speed shifters are ultrashift. Newer 10 and Athena 11 speed shifters are all powershift and have no cross compatibility with ultrashift.

LittleSprinter

by LittleSprinter

So there is a link on the first post, that's what I was getting at.

lo5707

by lo5707

DaveS wrote:I've swapped the indexing disc from 2009+ 11 speed shifters and put it into a 2009 10 speed ultrashift lever, but Campy no longer sells that part individually.

Found these selling individual campy shifter parts if it helps anyone out:

http://branfordbike.com/articles/campag ... 8-pg71.htm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

In fact as 10 speed mechs work with 11 speed all that is really needed is 11 speed shifter and a 11 speed cassette. This is what I plan t do when my 10 speed veloce shifters eventually die. I upgrade the meh when that dies as the second value is low.