Kuota KOM thoughts...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Schleckond

by Schleckond

Hi there, just wondering if anyone rides this frame and what their thoughts are on it?

Particularly interested in its weight and how it goes on long rides (6+ hours)
Asking as I can get one New/NOS with full Red what seems very cheap - ~$A3500 (I prefer campy so would probably just on-sell this stuff)

Also if anyone knows what bb standards the different years had that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It's a great frame, lightish but not ueberlight, very stiff but unfortunately not very comfy.

If you want a lighter and more comfortable frame from the same brand then Kuota's K-Uno may be a good choice. BB30 and different sizing though.

I've ridden a KOM but I do not own one yet. I'm considering it though as framesets can be had at a very nice discount in Europe.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Schleckond wrote:Also if anyone knows what bb standards the different years had that would be appreciated.

As far as I know the 2010 KOM "Ltd" was the last one with standard BSA, with newer models "Evo" having BB30.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

In that price range, if I wanted better comfort and as, or lower weight, I would look at the Parlee Z5, the BH ultralight and the BMC slro1.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I believe you are mixing apples and oranges - can you pick up a Parlee or BH equipped with full Red group for that price Charles, or are you speaking of naked frame prices?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Nope. I'm wrong there. Typically the frames are similar price across the board. In this case it's a full build for less than the typical frame price.

I stand by the frames character (though the KOM isn't really a rough ride relative to several bikes that are genuinely harsh), but this price for the KOM is way below typical retail.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Ok, that makes sense. Was about to ask you where I could get a Z5 or an Ultralight fully equipped for the kind of money. Brief Friday afternoon dream over for me! :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

drewb

by drewb

I can't comment on the KOM, however i can comment on my specific dealing with Kuota's customer service and warranty in Aus. It is (was) terrible. They refused to honor a cracked frame replacement and took 6 months to come to the final answer. Frames do crack, I understand, but not sticking with your warranty was the problem here.

They were unprofessional and too small an operation in Aus to want to do the right thing. This was my experience with Kuota. Others might be different.

But at $3500 it is cheap.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I've seen Evos for around 4000 on ebay. I bought one. Mine came with full SRAM Red, Fulcrum zeros, and prologo scratch nack, alloy cockpit and seatpost. I believe it was just over 4000 US shipped to australia.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schleckond

by Schleckond

Thanks for all the replies.

Seems it will be a touch too rough for what I'm looking for. Shame, but Ive spent way too much lately anyway.

Marzz

by Marzz

Not all the KOM Evo are BB30.
2011 KOM Evo are BSA, 2012 etc are BB30.
Australian distributor for some reason only bought a couple of the BB30 2012 in to Australia - the rest are (2011) BSA bottom bracket.
I know Belattisport do the 2012 BB30 Evo, but no one in Australia which sux.
S-Works Venge

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com