Mavic's Exalith Process/Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

I noticed there is now a new Exalith line called Exalith 2?

Does anybody know the difference?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duz10s

by duz10s

CrazyErrol wrote:How's everyone getting on with the exalith??

I have to say I've got about 1500 miles on mine and I'm getting patches wearing through back to the silver on the rims.

A bit annoyed about this, the coating seems soo thin. Is this getting warrantied for anyone else or is supposed to be accepted as normal wear?

Yes if the surface starts to wear and show silver Mavic will give you a new rim, it's not normal wear.
2015 RCA with Di2

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hello everyone,
Exalith 2 consists of a couple changes designed to minimize the brake squealing issue. There's a new brake pad compound. The new pads are black, not green, and they should not make as much noise. Also, the machining on the brake track is different. The ridges are rounder and less sharp compared to how they were in the original version. Again, this should extend brake pad life and reduce noise.

It's clear that riding frequently in wet or gritty conditions can accellerate wear on the brake track. Do visit your bike shop if this is the case, as Mavic will investigate all cases for possible remedy.
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

by 103

MavicZack wrote:Hello everyone,
Exalith 2 consists of a couple changes designed to minimize the brake squealing issue. There's a new brake pad compound. The new pads are black, not green, and they should not make as much noise. Also, the machining on the brake track is different. The ridges are rounder and less sharp compared to how they were in the original version. Again, this should extend brake pad life and reduce noise.

It's clear that riding frequently in wet or gritty conditions can accellerate wear on the brake track. Do visit your bike shop if this is the case, as Mavic will investigate all cases for possible remedy.

Are the new pads only available thru Mavic? Or will Swissstop sell them?

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

2000 miles in on my Ksyrium slrs and my rear looks like the photo on previous page.

I'm still on my first set of pads too so braking can't have been that excessive?

Mavic have said it sounds like a warranty so I'll send them in over winter.

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Just for reference are these 2012 or 2013 versions?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sounds like the wear issue related to 2012 versions.

enr1co

by enr1co

Just got a set of Ksyrium SLRs ( supposed to be 2013) with the brake black pads and tires with new tread design. The brake pad package was labled Exalith 2 pads but not familiar with the previous scallop design on the rims to discern between Exalith 1 or 2?

Put ~ 50 miles on them last weekend and lost about 1 mm of each of the pads. A little squeally for most of the ride but not having experienced the green pads, have no reference. The squealling did already seem to be diminishing towards the end of the ride.
Last edited by enr1co on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

elviento

by elviento

That's a lot of pad wear for a 50 mile ride. If you do 5000 miles a year, you'd go through like 20 sets of pads?
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

madmole

by madmole

Na, wear diminishes very rapidly. The initial wear is as the sharp edges of the rim round off. By the time you are on your second set of pads the wear is back to normal as is the squeeling

My first set I changed out at around 1000 miles as they were approaching the cutouts and I had a sportive with lots of climbs coming up. But yes wore through half of them on the first couple of rides
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

enr1co

by enr1co

madmole wrote:Na, wear diminishes very rapidly. The initial wear is as the sharp edges of the rim round off. By the time you are on your second set of pads the wear is back to normal as is the squeeling

My first set I changed out at around 1000 miles as they were approaching the cutouts and I had a sportive with lots of climbs coming up. But yes wore through half of them on the first couple of rides

Whew... reassuring to hear of the diminshing pad wear- will give me more time to build up the replacement brake pad fund :wink:

At $1200 a set, wasnt planning on using this new set during rainy days regardless of having an exalith coating or not. Will likely just ride a beater bike or throw on an already weather beaten Ksyriums SLs if raining.

The braking power is definitely impressive and the wheels felt very lively and nimble during the initial ride. The included Mavic 700 x 23 tires seem pretty skinny and did make for seemingly little bit harsher ride but could be also due to being accustomed/riding size 700x 25 tires prior to getting these wheels?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

enr1co wrote:Just got a set of Ksyrium SLRs ( supposed to be 2013) with the brake black pads and tires with new tread design. The brake pad package was labled Exalith 2 pads but not familiar with the previous scallop design on the rims to discern between Exalith 1 or 2?

Yup, they're 2013s - you can tell by the tread on the tyres and the slightly smoother appearance of the rim sidewall.

kgt

by kgt

enr1co wrote: The included Mavic 700 x 23 tires seem pretty skinny and did make for seemingly little bit harsher ride but could be also due to being accustomed/riding size 700x 25 tires prior to getting these wheels?

A friend who has used these during the last weeks told me these are among the worst performing, less durable tires in his 20 year cycling experience. Compared them to cheap Kendas or something like that.

Rippin

by Rippin

Actually I've had the opposite experience with the Mavic tires. They ride as nice as the Conti GP 4000s clinchers that I have on my other bike.
____o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

[quote="kgt"][quote="enr1co"] The included Mavic 700 x 23 tires seem pretty skinny and did make for seemingly little bit harsher ride but could be also due to being accustomed/riding size 700x 25 tires prior to getting these wheels?[/quote]
A friend who has used these during the last weeks told me these are among the worst performing, less durable tires in his 20 year cycling experience. Compared them to cheap Kendas or something like that.[/quote]

I beg to differ with this statement. I have used the tires for a couple of years now and feel they are one of the better tires on the market. The rear wears well, the front grips great in dry and wet conditions. I also found them to be very punture resistant. Now if they had a 25 they would be a killer set-up. :noidea: :up: