Cervelo S2 and Power2Max...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

parajba

by parajba

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking about buying a new crankset as although I love mine I don't like the fact that it's a compact. It's a Fulcrum RS 34/50T.
I did some research and seems that the Power2Max is a good solid power meter, and given that I'm based in the UK I thought a German based company is a good thing. I also heard that they provide good customer service.

So, here's the questions...I understand that Power2Max is compatible with cranksets with separate spider i.e. not compatible with Fulcrum RS, RRS etc as the spider is molded with the arm.

What Power2Max-compatible cranksets are out there that can match the good (excellent!) shifting and (excellent!) performance of my current Fulcrum RS?

Thanks!

PS: The rest of my groupset is Sram Red pre 2012.
Last edited by parajba on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Rotor :thumbup:
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Kastrup wrote:Rotor :thumbup:

Yes, i have 3 Rotor 3D all with power2max on :-)
See all my bike h e r e

parajba

by parajba

So Rotor is as good as Fulcrum, that's good to know.

Which Rotor model do you recommend for a Cervelo S2? Which type of BB?

If in the future I buy a new frame, will I be able to mount the Rotor on a new frame? Will it be compatible? What do I need to look out for?

Also, what's the best/cheapest way to buy one? Crank arm + spider + Power2Max unit directly from them and rings + BB from other online shops? Or I should buy the complete Rotor crankset and send it to them to install the Power2Max unit?

Thanks again!

Omiar

by Omiar

You need the 3D+, although the cheaper and heavier 3D can also be made to work. Also there is a 3DF model, which is a little cheaper and heavier than 3D+.

3D+ has a 30mm diameter spindle. So in the future, you also have to look for a frame which bb shell is made for a 30mm spindle(pf30, bb30, bbright).
However, Rotor makes bottom bracket cups that even frames intended for 24mm spindle diameter can also take a 30mm spindle. This leaves the bb cups quite thin, but it's not a major problem.
http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/convertors.html
http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/PressFit.html

If you intend to buy all parts new, then P2M price for the crank is quite good. Its 310 euros, whereas the usual online price tends to be around 375. You could source it used to save a little. I've seen a few on Ebay, which have been dismounted from new bikes and they sell cheaper than 375. Watch out that you buy the correct model though, because the sellers tend misuse the "+".
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

parajba

by parajba

Thanks Omiar, the P2M 3D+ costs 1090 euro + shipping. It says it doesn't include bolts, rings and bottom bracket.

I can source a couple of 39/53 rotor rings for around 80 euros...Or do you guys recommend other brands? Stronglight?

Which bottom bracket do I need to buy then for my Cervelo S2? It doesn't have BBRight. So when I change bike all I have to do is buying a new bottom bracket specific to the new bike and keep the P2M crankset....?

Thanks again!

Omiar

by Omiar

S2 should have a threaded bottom bracket shell. In that case, you need Rotor BSA30 cups to install 3D+ crank.
http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/bsa30.html
http://www.rotoruk.co.uk/pdfs/RotorUk_S ... iation.pdf

parajba

by parajba

Thanks again, looks like the BSA30 is the correct bottom bracket for the S2 (yes it's threaded - old school).

So the 3D+ seems like a good choice for now and the future (when I upgrade the bike - 2 or 3 years).

I just don't understand one thing then. The 3D+ is part of the new generation of oversized cranksets. Isn't it that (by using the BSA30) I don't fully benefit from the oversized structure? Do I have to get a BB30 frame to fully appreciate the 3D+ crankset? In other words, what's the "ideal" BB combo for the 3D+?

I hope I'm making sense...!

Omiar

by Omiar

Rotor says: Due to the larger axle-crank contact area of a BB30 crank, all three holes can be drilled from the axle side of the crank arm, allowing further optimization of wall thicknesses. It improves both the weight and the weight-rigidity ratio of the crank arm.

30mm itself isn't superior to 24mm. For such small dimensions, steel still has its place. Choosing the spindle diameter has more to do with frame design and marketing, than absolute stiffness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com