Favorite stem length for road biking?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

this is madness - there is only one stem length, and thats the one that adjusts the position on the bike that is right for you. Personally most of my bikes have 90mm stem, but when I built one up recently i found the actual frame geometries demanded a 110mm
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

Dimitri

by Dimitri

thats a gross over simplification.

if looking at things that way makes it easy for you then fine but its not madness to try to have a deeper understanding of things.

you can set 2 bikes up, with the same reach, using 2 different frame sizes, stem lengths, and one will be more suit to certain situations than another.

matching that to your particular needs is the difference between an AWESOME bike/ride and one that just works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Dimitri: maybe, but a lesson learned - my bike fit concluded I needed to ride a 90m stem on my race bike, so when building a new bike up I ordered a 90mm for it, only to find the positioning was oh so wrong. So as Juanmoretime noted a certain stem works for a certain height, that is not so true either, or a generalisation, as it is both the frame geometries and the riding position which dictate the right frame length, not your height, if your're on the correct size frame.

I am sure we have both seen riders with different riding positions, which may not be text book, but work for them, and I am sure if I could have more spinal flexibility in my lower back, I could bend from there into a flatter position - and maybe would be suited to a longer stem (i wish), but when approaching 50, that isnt going to happen now :)
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

aermet

by aermet

My favorite stem length is 140mm, because it makes me feel like Tom Boonen, even though I look full retard when sitting on the bike.

My favorite shoe size is 47.5, even though I should be wearing a 43.5, doesn't matter that I look full retard with 47.5's.

Sorry, couldn't resist, dumbest post ever.