Mavic's Exalith Process/Reviews?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

How's everyone getting on with the exalith??

I have to say I've got about 1500 miles on mine and I'm getting patches wearing through back to the silver on the rims.

A bit annoyed about this, the coating seems soo thin. Is this getting warrantied for anyone else or is supposed to be accepted as normal wear?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

CrazyErrol wrote:How's everyone getting on with the exalith??

I have to say I've got about 1500 miles on mine and I'm getting patches wearing through back to the silver on the rims.

A bit annoyed about this, the coating seems soo thin. Is this getting warrantied for anyone else or is supposed to be accepted as normal wear?

200 miles and mine are still ungodly loud under heavy braking.

I sure hope the coating lasts well past 1500 miles or I will be :evil:

anderz

by anderz

Mine disappeared more or less totally on the rear wheel on one ride (42km). The front is still ok but you can see it's more silvery than when new.
This is on a set of 2012 CC SLR's. Fortunately the rear wheel was replaced on warranty (I do not have MP3 as it's not offered here in Norway) but I've lost all confidence in Exalith and will not use them to any extent any more.

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Any picture?

I was really close to pull the trigger on a pair of those. Glad I didn't.

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Also disappointed to hear that. Having got annoyed with carbon braking I was hoping Exalith might be the answer.

giant man

by giant man

Exactly the kind of thing I predicted back on page 3. Mavic are full of 'innovative' ideas, but whats the point if they don't last? It's a bit like their 'plastic strip' idea on their latest wheels, not going to be reliable I doubt.

cnbky

by cnbky

guys, please include photos. this is a game changer for many who might consider exalith rims.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

MajorMantra wrote:Also disappointed to hear that. Having got annoyed with carbon braking I was hoping Exalith might be the answer.

Last week I had a chance to have a look at set of Ksyrium SLRs belonging to a friend. He's had them for about a year and done quite a lot of miles on them in varying conditions.
There were a few patches where the Exalith treatment had worn off. On closer inspection the grooves on the rim looked fine.
The patches were only cosmetic and the improved braking performance is still excellent.

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

My Front wheel, which does the majority of breaking is fine. My rear wheel, after a wet ride on Sunday is wearing through all over the place.

I'll state that breaking performance is unaffected and the file like surface of the rim, the grooves if you like, remain but the black treatment is wearing through rapidly now.

I'll still use them as the breaking is awesome in all conditions and it's got me out of a few situations in London traffic recently.

However on such an expensive wheelset, this is disappointing. Mavic are asking afterall around £1000 in the UK for pretty average clinchers, breaking performance aside.

I'm wondering if my rear rim is from a batch of bad Exalith treatment as, like I say, my front which has so much more use is fine. I'll likely try and warranty it soon if it keeps the wear rate up.

Pics to follow.

cnbky

by cnbky

can you please upload some photos of the tracks wearing out

MDiddy

by MDiddy

I put about 2k miles on mine and saw no wear or fading of the coating. The squealing would come back if I happened to wipe the brake track with a wet rag, but I learned that lesson early and stopped doing it.

anderz

by anderz

Here's a picture of my rear wheel.
As stated previously Mavic replaced the wheel without discussion but I'm very reluctant to use them any more...
Attachments
IMG_0438.jpg

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Wow! That has to be some defect, especially on the rear. While I just got my 2013 R-Sys SLR about a month ago I have yet to see any kind of wear on the front. The rear is not getting used right now because the SRM is out for service and I am borrowing a Ptap.

madmole

by madmole

Well, I'm up to 3000 miles on my SLE exaliths and the third set of pads. Brake tracks are still black, the machined ridges are just a little rounded. braking wet or dry is superb. Much better than old Alloy rims and Swisstop greens

This is lots of riding in the rain in the Uk and has even included a few gravel towpaths in the wet. No visible wear to the brake track

Only negatives are that accasionally they can be a bit grabby and squeely when heavy braking downhill goes on for a while and they get warm. and that the pads wear faster than normal as the brake track is effectively a file

Positives totally outweigh the negatives. in that you can brake harder in the dry and wet and they look great

The wheels have stayed very true as well despite a lot of bunny hops and kerb jumps. Able to set the brakes up with about 1mm clearence. The wheels are very stiff for sprinting but smooth the ride very well compared to say Fulcrum 7's

I run Conti Supersonic inners and Conti GP4000s rubber. I binned the Mavic rubber after the first wet ride. They were fine in the dry but not confidence inspiring in the wet
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lig

by Lig

Interestingly Mavic seem to have ditched the slick tyres and they now have a tread pattern.... I find my 'slicks' not too bad in the wet and great in the dry, but they do seem soft and have got lots of nicks in them...

Lig.