HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 am 

I am looking for some help. I installed a new BB30 Sram Red Quarq 50X34 on a Boardman 9.81 today. The first thing I found that it the chainrings sat way to far out and the chain line is out of wack. On this set-up there is 2 nylon/plastic spacers, one on the drive size that is 12mm wide and one that sits between the NDS crank and bearing pre-loader. There is no way I can get this to work. I was on the phone with Quarq, though they were very helpfull couldn't get this figured out.
Is there any one that has installed this new Red Quarq have similar issues?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 am 

Can you show us a picture? It sounds like you have it installed correctly...

Edit: How does the bearing adjuster look? Were you able to preload the bearings with it? Also make sure that the bearing shields are the correct ones. PF30 and BB30 are different.

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:18 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:16 am 

Yes, all that is correct.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:09 pm 

fwiw with the sram 2010 s975 srm, the fitting instructions were the same as the ones for normal red cranks

maybe the 2012 crank instructions will help figure it out...

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/lSlIBkjFhi-5ho4VoiqLvZsW0KdjrTt4vv0gC5A4P8w/mtime:1327445280/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-6115-012-000_rev_b_red_cranksets.pdf

is there any side-side play? with my s975 it was possible to slightly misalign the shaft, so that it felt like it was fully seated but wasn't, this causes the cranks to end up too far apart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm 
in the industry

upside wrote:
I am looking for some help. I installed a new BB30 Sram Red Quarq 50X34 on a Boardman 9.81 today. The first thing I found that it the chainrings sat way to far out and the chain line is out of wack. On this set-up there is 2 nylon/plastic spacers, one on the drive size that is 12mm wide and one that sits between the NDS crank and bearing pre-loader. There is no way I can get this to work. I was on the phone with Quarq, though they were very helpfull couldn't get this figured out.
Is there any one that has installed this new Red Quarq have similar issues?

Have you tried another crankset on the bike and measured the chainline differences from that crank to the SRAM Red Quarq? We just spoke to a guy at SRAM's dealer service and he also assured us that the chainline of the regular SRAM BB30 cranks and our SRAM Red Quarq BB30 cranks should be very similar.

It sounds like you are installing it correctly. It does look at bit unique with the spacer on the drive side, but that is how they are supposed to be. The SRAM Red BB30 Quarq cranks are different from the regular SRAM Red cranks in that the regular SRAM Red BB30 cranks have a shorter spindle and do not have the drive side spacer like our cranks. That extra space where we have to use a spacer is taken up on the regular SRAM Red BB30 cranks in the inherent spider / spindle design.

Pete Jacobs, 2012 Ironman champion has a Boardman bike with a SRAM Red BB30 Quarq so we would expect this setup to also work on your bike as well: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/Pete_Jacob_s_Boardman_AiR_3161.html

I'm not sure if our tech showed you the link on our website to the Red Quarq BB30 installation addendum: http://www.quarq.com/i/95-6118-004-000_REV_A_RED_Quarq_BB30_IA_Addendum.pdf

Mieke
Quarq Technology

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 pm 

Yes, I installed another BB30 and the chain line did not change.. [b]so It is in the design of the bike[/b]. I have never seen anything as severe as on this Boardman. I found another thread about the Boardman 9.81 with chain line issues similar to what I have been experiencing. It is quite severe in the big ring and largest cog in back.

Thanks everyone