Cervelo R5 price drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wasabi1

by wasabi1

Cervelo have reduced price of 2012 R5 by 50%!

http://www.royles.biz/product/9061/Cervelo_R5_VWD_Black_2012_Frame

Not clear about the strategy behind this. Must either have massive overstock, or some other issues.

Anyone have any inside scoop?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Still has BB Right.

I'm out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ave

by ave

This sale price is about the right price. But I'm not an é fan.

artray

by artray

Our pis%ed would you be if you paid full price a few weeks ago . If the price has dropped that much Cervelo must have something new coming .

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

apparently they are doing this to undercut some UK e-tailers that bought a bunch of the frames on the grey market and don't offer warranties, that's what I heard
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I'm not sure about the UK dealers, but in North America back in January there was something called Share the Ride.

Essentially, you would have 2 people buy a Cervelo together and each would save $1000.

Cervelo would give dealers an R5 frameset in return for each package sale.

This is most likely the result of the sale. The R5 is an amazing bike, highly recommended. Cervelo also have already released the 2013 line up, so there is nothing big coming down the tubes just yet (but very soon)

wasabi1

by wasabi1

S5 vwd also down to £2500.

http://www.madison.co.uk/cervelo/

Do fancy one at that price, but I am slightly wary.
Even if the only reason is everyone will be riding budget cervelos next spring.

nismosr

by nismosr

are US retailers included on this deal ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

timzcat

by timzcat

The Share the ride was a big issue with many dealers. So much so that many in my area are no longer selling Cervelo. Thus my guess is a massive overstock due to crappy sales tactics.
This just reinforces the notion that Cervelo is on a slide and loosing ground quickly to everyone else.

asv

by asv

2 of my local dealers stopped carrying Cervelo. Four years ago Cervelo seemed to be a step ahead of their competitors but now the brand seems to have regressed.

duodiscus

by duodiscus

I own an R5 and can say that it's a fantastic bike. When I took bikes out for test rides, I had no preferences or biases about what my next road bike was going to be. Ultimately the R5 proved to be the best bike for my type of riding: mountains, hills and everything in between.

At that price you certainly can't go wrong.

Cervelo regressing? Don't think so.

wasabi1

by wasabi1

duodiscus wrote:Cervelo regressing? Don't think so.

Perhaps on the business/marketing side, but not not on the product side.

Owned an S2 myself a couple of years ago and thought it was great.

I wondering whether being part of a larger group has killed the boutique image and thinking. Remember thinking Cervelos were more of a premium brand. Half price discounts certainly kills that image!

konky

by konky

The older R and S ranges ran for many years with no change other than colour and sold well.

Old model: pro geometry, pro image but did not sponsor a pro team

New model: sportive geometry so lost pro image but sponsored pro team

Cervelo tried to make their bikes fit a wider audiance, but the policy back fired.

These are just thoughts and probably a load of rubbish. Maybe they are selling as many bikes/frames as ever but they over manufatured (possibly to keep unit price down) and need to shift the excess.

Quite frankly this half price sell off is baffling, and bloody annoying considering I bought one at nearer full price, only 20% off.

duodiscus

by duodiscus

wasabi1 wrote:Perhaps on the business/marketing side...

...I wondering whether being part of a larger group has killed the boutique image and thinking. Remember thinking Cervelos were more of a premium brand. Half price discounts certainly kills that image!

From everything I looked at regarding Cervelo and the acquisition by Pon, they (Cervelo) seem to be in a much better position than they have been in most recent years. If anything, they're far stronger. It's to be expected that some changes will be made with an acquisition like that, but the core Cervelo group is still the same that it's always been (although Vroomen is doing his own thing with mountain bikes now).

It seems to me that the 50% off of 2012 frames is nothing more than an end of year/end of paint scheme clearing of those items from inventory. That's why it's such a great deal. To suggest that Cervelo is slipping because of this is just silly.

Nytro, a premium Cervelo dealer here in Southern California, have started listing the 2013 models along with 2013 prices on their site. There's nothing cheap or discount about those prices.

duodiscus

by duodiscus

konky wrote:These are just thoughts and probably a load of rubbish.

You said it, not me... :wink:

konky wrote:Quite frankly this half price sell off is baffling, and bloody annoying considering I bought one at nearer full price, only 20% off.

It does indeed suck if you weren't able to take advantage of a great sale. At least you didn't pay full price like some of us have... :wink:

At the end of the day, there will be sales and super deals that don't coincide with our buying schedule and that's just life. You still got an awesome bike though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com