WW 1x9 conversion....opinions wanted on my idea

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Right, finally decided that I really can survive on just one ring so will be going 1x9.

I currently run a bash as my local rides involve quite a lot of logs and the chainwheel often gets a whack on the way over.

My Daughter runs 1x9 using the bash and an N-gear jump stop, however the chain used to come off with any backpedaling (easy to say don't do it, less easy to always not do it!).

So I was looking at a kids bike the other day that was 1x5 and to act as a chain guide it has a disc on either side of the chainring, Brompton folders use similar.

So my grand plan is this....single speed sepcific chainring (E13 just ordered) and a carbon fibre disc mounted to the granny tabs just like the Brompton and kiddies BSO, at a rough calculation a 2mm thick (Thanks to Stephen at fribrelyte who reckons my 1.5mm suggestion wouldn't be stiff enough, Stephen estimates he could produce them for somewhere around the £35 mark if anyone wants to take up my idea) inner ring will weigh about 35g along with circa 10g for the bolts (I may be able to get some lighter ones of course), combined with my current bash (82g) I think that if it works (it works on the Bromptons - forawrads and back pedaling!) it will be a very light and secure chainguide for my purpses (XC to moderate trail usage), ultimately a CF bash (circa 4mm perhaps) would save even more weight.

For now I've found a cheap source of some 2mm thick CF sheet so will be cobbling up my own, if it works then I may well get Stephen to make me something neater.

So opinions/suggestions?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

hillrider

by hillrider

I run a single speed chainring and a e-13 chainguide on my XC bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28730

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=87855

Never had the chain come since using the above combo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

digit3

by digit3

If I read the OP post, the issue isn't about losing the chain but more so the need for a bash guard/chain retention device. I run 1 X 10 with e13 guide ring up from and e13 retention device and it works well. With a new XTR clutch type rear derailleur I could possibly dump the chainkeeper.

You are looking for something that would function as a bash guard and also to retain the chain and also be WW? Personally I don't need a bash guard but good luck with rigging up yours. Sounds like a good idea.

hillrider

by hillrider

Oh sorry about that.Well you have ordered youre outer bash ring.What about this for the inner chainguide,it bolts onto the granny ring bolt holes.
http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk/index.html

TheRookie

by TheRookie

TheRookie wrote:I currently run a bash

Thanks for the link, validates my idea, I'd not heard of someone making one before!

CF would be the more sensible choice though!

tzeonn

by tzeonn

i am also considering a change from 3x9 to 1x9 since i do not use the 2 smaller chainrings. i did some research, and am leaning towards the Paul's chain keeper. it is easy to install and adjust (for me at least, i am keeping the biggest chainring) and looks extremely light weight!

btw, what sort of riding are u doing? i did alot of research, it seems that the pauls is not recommended if you are jumping/XC riding. suits me more as im on the road most of the time.

Edit: sorry din read fully about your style of rides! perhaps this pauls might not be suitable for u :lol:

TheRookie

by TheRookie

As I certainly wouldn't run just the big ring, I'd say not!

yakstone

by yakstone

I switched to a 1X9 a year or so ago and use a 32T chainring. I use an E13 chain retention device similar to the one in the link and have had no issues. Used to run a bash guard but have not had a problem without it.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

yakstone wrote:I switched to a 1X9 a year or so ago and use a 32T chainring. I use an E13 chain retention device similar to the one in the link and have had no issues. Used to run a bash guard but have not had a problem without it.

Thanks, but as I've made clear I need to run a bash, so the Raidium (or similar) makes a lot of sense.....

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

hillrider wrote:Oh sorry about that.Well you have ordered youre outer bash ring.What about this for the inner chainguide,it bolts onto the granny ring bolt holes.
http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a little sceptical about that website. The contact address is a house as far as I can tell, not a business premises?

I like the E13 type chainguide idea. We used to manufacture a downhill device in carbon for a company years ago and recently a friend of our machinist has been asking about one. Unfortunately we only made the carbon parts and none of the plastic runner or rollers but we'll investigate it further. With the chain devices like that, don't they have to be bolted to the three holes around the bottom bracket that seem to be on all downhill bikes? I'm afraid my downhill expertise isn't that great, but trying to learn!! :D

The other option I had been thinking of is a single ring carbon chainring with chain guides that bolted directly to the rim of the chainring itself, with spacers to allow clearance of course. I manufactured one as a custom project but regular work has meant that idea too a bit of a back burner.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Stephen, that last idea is sold in Australia as the widgit (in alloy), OK for someone who wants the lot, but will be more expensive than just using standard parts.

Don't have an issue with a private seller,probably collisions local suppliers to make them!

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

That widgit looks good to be honest, similar to what I've done in the past but not identical. The price doesn't look too bad either, I don't know what that converts to in english pounds sterling.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

About £60......

The advantage of using the granny tabs is you use off the shelf ring and bash, it's just the inner guide that is 'sort of unique'.

Typo in above post (or phone spell correct) should have read collusion, the price isn't bad.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

£60 isn't bad for a chainring and two chainguides and it's neater than a triple crank setup. Of course if you already have the triple crank that may sway the decision. Then of course, it's not carbon fibre :wink:

KevinGnar

by KevinGnar

BBG and Blackspire both makes chainguards that mount off the granny ring tabs.

You could always get a second narrow guard like a Truvativ AM guard(also available in carbon) and run that on the inside with long MRP chainring bolts for their older poly guards.

I run 1x10 and we have a ton of log overs as well so a bash is required.
I use:
MRP G2 Light on my Sunday
Gamut BB mount on my Blur TRc
Carbocage on my 6point(available with an integrated bash)
LG1+ on my Dreamliner
SRS on my Chameleon.

All are good systems with chainring protection.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com