Bottom bracket for Rotor 3D with Power2Max PM

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie13

by Frankie13

This is going to be the first time I will not use a Campagnolo Ultra Torque crank and change to a Rotor 3D Crank with P2Max and Praxis Works 50/34 Chainrings for Campy 11s.

What bb would you recommend and should I go with ceramic grade 3 bearings?
The Rotor 3D has a 24mm spindle and the frame is BSA 68mm English (Canyon Ultimate CF 2012).

Thanks for your time :thumbup:

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

Chris King BB without ceramic bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I did look it up at CC and it does look high quality. I haven't used any Chris King products so far.
Thanks for your reply.

timzcat

by timzcat

If you want Ceramic go with HSC. FWB sells them and they should have what you are after.
I have a set of their ceramics in a BB30 frame and really like them, particularly over the SRAM BB30 ceramics.
Their prices are better then companies like ceramicspeed

Omiar

by Omiar

You could also use the lighter 3D+ crank if you use Rotor UBB bottom bracket cups.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

audiojan

by audiojan

I've been using a Rotor BB1 ceramic for about a year. Spins extremely nice!
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Voye

by Voye

I have 2 of those exact set-up. Love them both. One with HSC and the other with the regular BB1 from Rotor. I can`t really say that one spins smoother than the other, actually, both are very very smooth. Unless you go with something horribly cheap, I can`t see you noticing much of a diffence when looking at mid to high end stuff. HSC, King, Rotor and Shimano will all be good.

Praxis now makes BB`s that would be worth taking a look at. I will try their conversion BB`s on my next frame.

Cheers,

boysa

by boysa

I switched from Campagnolo to Rotor when I purchased my Quarq, and I decided to go with the CK bb. I think it's fantastic. I also purchased the grease tool that goes with it, and have used it several times already. Makes for hassle-free maintenance.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Omiar wrote:You could also use the lighter 3D+ crank if you use Rotor UBB bottom bracket cups.

I talked to Rotor today and strongly consider to use the 3D+ crank with Rotors UBB cups.

How about Rotors own Powermeter who I heard should be released before the end of the year?
I just don't feel like playing ginipic with Rotors first edition PM.

madmole

by madmole

I run the 3D Rotor with the SABB BB ceramic on mine with the same thread. Has been working very well indeed. You can pick up light titanium 3D's cheaper than the heavier 3D+ from DuLight in France. And the red trim bits and BB look fantastic on a black frame

So far its survived numerous bouts of UK rain and a ton of gravel and grit from towpaths and is still as smooth as butter, plus you know you will never have a problem with alignment
Cervelo S3 2011. Blinged 6.718 Kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com