Ti frame builder for breakaway conversion in Europe

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Can anyone recommend builders that could convert an old Ti frame to a break-away? Europe preferred to keep the shipping costs in check.

I'm specifically interested in the Ritchey system.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

Not sure which other builders use the Ritchey system, but I would think they would maintain a list somewhere. Try giving them a call?

For budget-ish non-Chinese titanium Rewel springs to mind. But my sense is that a non-standard frame modification job always takes more time than one expects, so costs quite a lot. The economical solution might be to use one of the Chinese direct Ti manufacturers to produce a Ritchey-like solution and sell the original bike.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I have scored a cheap frame and no time pressure. Unfortunately German KOCMO only do S&S couplers. (S&S downtube and Ritchey seatpost would be ok for me).

bontie

by bontie

Long shot but give these guys a shout :

http://www.explorateur.cc/

I knwo they build in steel and use said couplings...

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I looked into this before and it's going to be expensive as in the 800-1000$ range and hopefully you get someone that can do it perfectly.
If you are going to plunk that kind of money it would better if it was put towards a Ritchey Ti frame breakaway.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/phot ... iew/226161

You can get the steel version at 1/2 the cost if you don't want to spend for Ti.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

gt5504b

by gt5504b

The breakaway system doesn't really lend itself to retrofits. To do so you would need to cut away the top tube and seat stays from the seat tube, place and weld the upper breakaway seatpost binder in perfect place connected to the TT; then bend, place and weld both the seatstays to a new lower breakaway seatpost binder attached to the seat tube; then chop the down tube and weld in the clamp there.

With S&S it is a simple cut of TT and DT and weld in the couplers.

If you want Ritchey breakaway, you are probably best to start from scratch.

elviento

by elviento

Chances are the cost may not be worth it. Custom jobs like this almost always are a bit more complicated than one would expect. Plus likelihood of a further modification is very high.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

HillRPete

by HillRPete

elviento, well yes, German KOCMO is charging €900,- for S&S conversion. I'm really more looking for someone who can hack a 200 euro frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Well, my guys are quoting me $900-1000, but bear in mind S&S is patented so a big chunk goes to them and no IP-respecting builder can escape that.

wassertreter wrote:elviento, well yes, German KOCMO is charging €900,- for S&S conversion. I'm really more looking for someone who can hack a 200 euro frame.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal