HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 277
Hi guys,
I'm building up a Canyon for a friend and didn't realize till I went to swap stems, that it has a 1 1/2" steerer diameter. I can't seem to find any 110mm stems with a 1 1/2" steerer clamp... Anyone point me in the right direction...
Thanks for any help
Cheers
Harry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:00 am
Posts: 430
Location: Asstralia
Ritchey wcs 4axis
Syntace f139 ? 119 ???
Specialized and giant make one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:55 pm
Posts: 1932
Location: Vienna, AUT
Stem clamp at the steerer on the Ultimates is 1.25" not 1.5"
The fork tapers to 1.5" at the fork crown.
Caballero has the list for you, I would also add in custom stems as an option.
The Syntace model that suits is the F119.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:59 pm
Posts: 346
I run a Syntace F119 on my Canyon with Ti bolts. Decals scrubbed down with acetone. The perfect stem


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 570
Location: Surrey UK
Ritchey wcs 4axis is the lightest on this list.
Tiny difference compared to Syntace, should be a few grams lighter.
Unfortunately 1.25 is still unwelcome standard among the stems :(

_________________
Cervelo R5 VWD 5637g/12.43lb
Pronghorn XC SW Race 8284g/18.26lb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 pm
Posts: 1
I use Giant OD2 stem for my 1 1/4 fork :welcome: Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 277
Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:40 am
Posts: 428
Location: Switzerland
drmutley wrote:
Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!


you can specify 'any' lenght when ordering

if you don't they send whatever lenght is in the spec list

the syntace (being German) goes better with the Canyon anyway :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:23 am
Posts: 277
GT56 wrote:
drmutley wrote:
Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!


you can specify 'any' lenght when ordering

if you don't they send whatever lenght is in the spec list

the syntace (being German) goes better with the Canyon anyway :wink:

my friend when ordering didn't do me an favours then! He coulda saved me the trouble of finding the correct stem! :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 124
drmutley wrote:
GT56 wrote:
drmutley wrote:
Thanks guys for pointing out my oversight... Finding 1 1/4" stems have proven tough! But I've found a F119 locally... Sheesh canyon! If u want to use odd size stems at least send something longer than 90mm!!


you can specify 'any' lenght when ordering

if you don't they send whatever lenght is in the spec list

the syntace (being German) goes better with the Canyon anyway :wink:

my friend when ordering didn't do me an favours then! He coulda saved me the trouble of finding the correct stem! :-)


Canyon also do a stem exchange too for a small fee I think within the first 30 days after receipt of the frame/bike


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:30 am
Posts: 109
mattyb95 wrote:
Canyon also do a stem exchange too for a small fee I think within the first 30 days after receipt of the frame/bike


Years ago i ordered a Ultimate AL frame which had a 100mm stem.I got them to swap it for a 110mm but it cost me the equivalent of a new stem...That is i paid full price for the 110mm but i did´nt get the 100mm that should have been in the "Frame package".Kind of lousy service if you ask me.I liked the frame very much though

I believe you can contact Canyon to get a Ritchey stem.I have´nt seen them anywhere else except ebay


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 124
Biff wrote:
mattyb95 wrote:
Canyon also do a stem exchange too for a small fee I think within the first 30 days after receipt of the frame/bike


Years ago i ordered a Ultimate AL frame which had a 100mm stem.I got them to swap it for a 110mm but it cost me the equivalent of a new stem...That is i paid full price for the 110mm but i did´nt get the 100mm that should have been in the "Frame package".Kind of lousy service if you ask me.I liked the frame very much though

I believe you can contact Canyon to get a Ritchey stem.I have´nt seen them anywhere else except ebay


I thought it was something like 20 Euros now


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:52 pm
Posts: 399
Location: USA
When I got my Canyon Ultimate CF at the begin of this year, I told Canyon to change the 100mm stem that came with the bike for an 120mm and payed an extra 20 Euro. It is a Ritchey stem by the way. I hope the new Cf frames for 2013 are for sale soon.

_________________
Pfeiffer's Rennrad Camp and USA Cycling Certified Coach
Independent HED Wheel Dealer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:35 pm
Posts: 1504
Location: Geneva
Not thinking, I swapped out a longer Syntace number for the Ritchey, but the stack height is like 2mm less. Finding 2mm 1 1/4" spacer is beyond a PITA.

With the Acros headset is it ok to leave the 2mm?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 pm 


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Stem to suit 1 1/2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:59 am
Posts: 570
Location: Surrey UK
You will end up with 2mm steering tube sticking above the stem.
Apart aesthetics, it's OK.
If you are worrying about the acros's top plug, I don't use it at all.
In the case you are happy with this "new" front set up, consider cutting down the steering tube.

_________________
Cervelo R5 VWD 5637g/12.43lb
Pronghorn XC SW Race 8284g/18.26lb


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Illuminate, ProfessorChaos and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Canyon owners rejoyce ! C260 stem in 1 1/4" !

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

campagnolo321

20

2102

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Dick View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Pro Vibe 7s - Too much for a steerer tube.

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Cervelolite

16

1385

Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 pm

kode54 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ritchey Monocurve - 31.8mm Steerer?

in Road

Stolichnaya

1

392

Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 pm

cerro View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Giant TCR Composite 1 steerer tube

in Road

severall

3

531

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 am

severall View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Fork steerer tube too short! What can be done?

in Road

CAIOS

1

746

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:48 pm

legs 11 View the latest post


It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB