Winter bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DarkWing

by DarkWing

Hi guys.
I hope you can help me out.

I'm trying to decide on a winter bike since I've handed in my team bike (end of season).

I've looked at the Canyon bikes and at focus.
I can buy a new focus Izalco pro 4.0 for 1500€ - which seems like a pretty good deal.
The other option is buying a Canyon bike - like the ultimate AL (Di2 2012 model or perhaps the CF 2012 model) for about 2000€.

Fitting my Dura Ace 7900 SRM on the Canyon would probably be easier than the focus BB30, but I guess it's not to big a deal with adapters.

Do any of you have any experiences with these bikes, or any thoughts on other bikes I should consider?
I'm in Denmark btw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vladoo

by vladoo

I have Focus Izalco 2010 (for sale :) ) with Shimano cranks (FSA adapter adds 52g - but it is without any problem, no cracking, no sound etc.). Izalco is very comfortable and good loking frameset, but not weight-weenie.
Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred. (V. Havel, november 1989)

wevergo2

by wevergo2

DarkWing wrote:Hi guys.
I hope you can help me out.

I'm trying to decide on a winter bike since I've handed in my team bike (end of season).

I've looked at the Canyon bikes and at focus.
I can buy a new focus Izalco pro 4.0 for 1500€ - which seems like a pretty good deal.
The other option is buying a Canyon bike - like the ultimate AL (Di2 2012 model or perhaps the CF 2012 model) for about 2000€.

Fitting my Dura Ace 7900 SRM on the Canyon would probably be easier than the focus BB30, but I guess it's not to big a deal with adapters.

Do any of you have any experiences with these bikes, or any thoughts on other bikes I should consider?
I'm in Denmark btw.

Canyon Roadlite 6.0: very cheap (€999,- complete bike) 8.1 kg, best test results, looks great, it's better than some of my expensive carbon road bikes! I bought the frame and build it up myself.
My advise: Canyon AL, best test results, cheap, light, looks great, best value for money.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi dark wing

The izalco looks lovely but does not appear to have mudguard clearance. In the UK a "winter bike" would usually have mudguards otherwise winter riding is really wet and horrible. Denmark must have similar weather, you may want to have a look for an alloy frame with eyelets.

Regards

Alan

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Good old CAADs can be turned into a good winter "hack" :)

llhh

by llhh

I can see that the definition of winter bikes can vary a bit depending on where you live :D Here's mine... and a bit of snow in the background (1.5m to be precise). As there is now way to fit studded tyres on a road/CX bike, it has to be MTB. Oh, and the beast weighs in at *exactly* as my road bike and TT bike combined :D

Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

Juggler

by Juggler

Canyon... all the way :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

Wester-Ross

by Wester-Ross

Check out the Surly Pacer. The frameset is well made from steel and cheap ($300 here in the US). Good geometry, fender mounts and clearance for bigger tires.

It takes 'old school' sized components (27.2 post, BSA BB) so I built mine up from my parts bin (including a wired SRM Professional).

My only indulgences were SKS Longboard mudguards and Gore Ride-on Sealed cables.

I know Surly have distribution in Sweden.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

adrien de la touche

by adrien de la touche

Hello darkwing
I second Alans comments. Where i live, the classic winter trainer is Ribble cycles audax/winter frame. Has mudguard eyelets, is solid, rides really well and is cheap!
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ibbfraw220
They even do a carbon version now.
Aidee