The Canyon love thread

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

phlip

by phlip

Are you talking about a specific model? Because many bikes are available right now: http://www.canyon.com/_en/shop/expressbikes.html

sawyer

by sawyer

I'm sure the new frames will be better and internal cabling is nice but aesthetically they are a step back overall. Lousy, dated colour schemes on the whole (though team is nice), and the semi compact geo looks too Giant for my taste. Also, squared off downtube ..... :cry:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

phlip wrote:Are you talking about a specific model? Because many bikes are available right now: http://www.canyon.com/_en/shop/expressbikes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CF SLX

Lewis

by Lewis

As above please. I need some new tape for my roadlite and I happen to really like the foamy stuff canyon use, but it's hard to tell what the finishes on the others are like from photo's on websites. It sounds pendantic but you're holding the bars for a long time on long distance rides so it needs to be right!

Just after some decent black foam/cork tape which is thick and comfy really. If I can get the same stuff Canyon use all the better.
Last edited by Lewis on Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

PIXELLUST

by PIXELLUST

Lewis wrote:Just after some decent black foam/cork tape which is thick and comfy really. If I can get the same stuff Canyon use all the better.

I've heard that the Specialized Roubaix tape is quite good for the particular attributes you're looking for. It doesn't have any Specialized livery on it either if you're worried about the brand names clashing. I reckon the Lizard Skins DSP tape is the best on the market though, and they're expected to be bringing into production a thicker tape for model year '13.

Lewis

by Lewis

Hi buddy

Ok thanks for that :) it's unbelievably tricky to find something suitable without being in a shop and picking it up to examine etc. might have to bite the bullet and go to a bike shop!
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

mattyb95

by mattyb95

Think the new DSP tape is going to be 3.2mm thick versus the current 2.5mm and 1.8mm offerings. I have the 2.5mm stuff on my Canyon and find it plenty thick enough compared to other tape I've used and it does seem to dull things a bit too. I think the new thicker tape is already showing up on eBay.

Juggler

by Juggler

PIXELLUST wrote:I've heard that the Specialized Roubaix tape is quite good for the particular attributes you're looking for...

+1

I had Roubaix on my previous Canyon F10. It felt good - I can't determine if it was the placebo effect or not, but it seemed that it had a higher level of absorption than bar tape I had used prior.

That said, I use Lizardskin DSP (1,8 mm) now, and it is great. Maybe not as "comfy", but great and direct feel.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

+1 for roubaix tape, definitely dampens my Cervelo s1's alu tendencies

ultyguy

by ultyguy

A work in progress w/ a crappy pic as well.

CF Ultimate SLX 2012, 56
Sram Red Black ceramic
FSA Wing Alu
Syntace 119
Phenom Carbon 130
105 pedals (just threw on what I had lying around)
Blackburn cages (same)
Zondas w/ Hutchinson tubeless (training)

7kgs

Thinking...

FSA wing K-force (-70ish), still a bit skittish about carbon bars give that a quick touch down can ruin a race or strand you way out in the mtns
Ultegra Carbon pedals (-100ish)
Adrundel cages (-50ish)
Reynolds 32T (-500, already got 'em)
New Ultimate Alu in line post? :noidea:

Should put me around 6.3. A few feeler rides, not sure what it is, but I had an Ultimate CF 2009 and this seems much smoother (maybe the new VLCS post?). However, coming from an Isaac Sonic, I notice the slight weight diff, but it's not hugely stiffer than the Isaac.
Attachments
canyon stealth.jpg

Valy

by Valy

I've only ridden the 2012 CF, but the VCLS seatpost really does add a lot to the ride. I put an alu post I had and the ride firmed up quite a lot. IMO The seatpost is really worth leaving on unless you ride on really good roads.

david74

by david74

new frame set ......

Last edited by david74 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juggler

by Juggler

Nice update.... loving that frame :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Looks nice and stiff around the headtube if the amount of carbon is anything to go by....is it?!

djm

by djm

The Specialized Roubaix tape is really nice, but I find the "Phat" tape even nicer, there's less loose "fabric" on the tape while it gives just as good grip. And it can be wrapped with silicone inserts if you'd like more damping.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com