what do you use for a recovery food or muscle build food ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Fructose is fructose, if its not from fruit I avoid it. Doesn't matter if its Agave syrup, junk food, etc.

Post workout shake:
Protein mix from Protein Factory- 28g of protein from casein hydrosolate and whey hydrosolate, carbs from maltodextrin, oat powder, and rice powder. Mixed with almond milk and 1 cup blueberries. Take with chromium/cinnomonium and maybe a nutrient partitioner like berberin.

1 hour later meal with either sweet potatoes, quinoa, quick oats, etc, some whole eggs, spinach, etc. Same supplements with that.

Works like a charm. When I switched to super fast digesting proteins and carbs immediately PWO and followed with a meal that had about the same size (albeit more fat and fiber), recovery changed dramatically.

I don't get why cyclists try to be so purposefully ignorant about sugars and proteins. They're not all the same. Lots of sugars, even if you're glycogen depleted, are still transported and stored within fat cells. Lipogensis dramatically increases when fructose is present after the liver is replenished. Liver glycogen is a very small part of glycogen stores so you don't really need that much fructose, which is mainly what comes from fruit. A small portion works better. Many of these simple sugars mentioned here do not actually get stored as glycogen. Studies actually show that high amounts of fructose essentially crank up lipogensis for hours and hours after consumption, making your body be primed to store what you eat later as fat. Simple corn and cane sugar derivatives can have similar effects so I'd really try and minimize these as possible.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RippedUp

by RippedUp

KWalker wrote:Fructose is fructose, if its not from fruit I avoid it. Doesn't matter if its Agave syrup, junk food, etc.

Totally agree. Fructose is one of the worst types of carbs one can ingest. Fructose is a disaccharide that is mainly processed and stored in the liver, and the liver can only store ~100g worth of glycogen. (vs. our muscles that can take up to 400g+)

A good protein blend as described by KWalker mixed with a clean source of carbs is best.

artray

by artray

stella-azzurra wrote:
artray wrote:I like to have 4 pina coladas a bucket of KFC and a bag of haribos starmix followed by some pure opium and a twix. After my ride I have a kebab, 1 bottle of JD another bag of haribo starmix and a twix .
:

Just wondering do you hit the toilet hard after that cocktail? :lol:[/quote
I did hit the toilet hard with big splashes and I think I saw a mermaid .

KWalker

by KWalker

I don't mind it while riding, but again cyclists go overboard. I dunno if its Rapha, but they seem to think that they need to stop and eat a pastry with 100g of carbs in the middle of a 2hr ride at 100bpm or that they have to just eat shitloads of fruit for energy.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

For those of you who drink chocolate milk as a recovery drink, how much do you usually drink? 1/2 litre? 1 liter?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

natiedean24

by natiedean24

One glass full. Pick a glass size that matches your thirst for Chocolate milk.

skinnywater
Shop Owner

by skinnywater

x2 I had this discussion the other day during a beer ride. I opted for chocolate milk because I wasn't quite done with my ride and still had to bike the 8 miles home. Told the server (25-30 year old) to make it in the largest glass he had. That guy made it in a small glass with almost no chocolate. My only reaction was to ask what kind of a childhood he had with a obvious look of disapointment.
Richard Traugott
Sales Manager
Ryder Bikes - Bradenton
1905 Cortez Rd W
Bradenton, Fl 34207
941-756-5480

http://ryderbikes.com/
http://www.seasucker.com/

adidavas

by adidavas

I use High5 recovery drink. Always helps me to recover.

artray

by artray

I usually drink around half a pint of choc milk . I then take a shower and then hit a bottle of JD untill I pass out . I usually wake up in a crack house or under a bridge where the trolls live.

russianbear

by russianbear

Clicked on this thread hoping for a beer discussion. Disappointed.

allepunta

by allepunta

Chickpeas with black rice.

adidavas

by adidavas

its not alkoholical discussion :D :beerchug:

Bingomck

by Bingomck

Costco in my area sells individual low fat organic chocho milk cartons. I think they're 190 cals each. I drink one immediately following every ride, then depending on the ride get a more complete. Rally in within an hour

drhule23

by drhule23

chocolate milk if I am away from home.

if I can get home, then I make smoothie:
2 cups skim milk
1 frozen banana
1 C frozen strawberries
tons of ice
The more you suffer, the closer you get to transcendence.
It's not the mountain you're climbing, it's yourself. If you don't want to know, stay at the bottom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toride

by toride

With all this talk of choco Milk i feel very tempted to order some,it certainly is a dam site cheaper than recovery powders.

I suppose i haven't used it before because i thought it would be full of preservatives etc but reading all these posts from users i might get a tub..anyone strongly advise against ovaltine brand ?